Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you have any examples of historic buildings in your community that have been, or will be razed in the name of progress?

Do you have any examples of historic buildings in your community that have been, or will be razed in the name of progress?

Homes, theaters, municipal buildings or other examples..

Posted - March 14, 2019

Responses

Think it was called the "Straight Theater"
    A remnant of the 60's in the Haight Ashbury.
    Closed for a long time...was absolutely Gorgeous inside.
    Big  Sweeping balcony, beautiful murals...Big stage...
    We tried to make it our community center,
     but Some developer tore it down and put up condos...Sad...

March 14, 2019 8:56 PM MDT

Hello Baba..
    I know exactly the place, right there at Cole st. Those cheap, kind of industrial modern boxes. Those are hideous. Looks like some condos you would see along 101 in Mountain View, not in the Haight.
    That is precisely the kind of waste I am so against. I remember that theater, I never went inside, but drove past it plenty of times back in my youth. Places like that are important in preserving the neighborhood, and local culture. I guess some people wont be happy till' everything is covered with Hardi-plank and corrugated sheet metal. I think about the detail and the skill and craftsmanship that went into building many of the gorgeous Victorians that are in that neighborhood, and then about how cheaply they slap together their replacements..
    I don't get to the City as much these days, I used to take the kids up there often.
    The skyline has really changed. I drive across the bay bridge once a month or so, seems like the SalesForce bldg. went up quick..

March 14, 2019 10:45 PM MDT

Most all ,of anywhere in London......Anywhere you travel ,all you see is the most ugly glass curtain walling the
    at some halfwitthed architect thinks he's uniquely designed......
    Its got to be one of the ugliest cities in the world.....What they have done to the road structure ,makes it a thousand times worse.. 
      March 14, 2019 11:33 PM MDT