Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If the institution of marriage were done away with altogether, would we be better off, worse off, or as we presently are?

If the institution of marriage were done away with altogether, would we be better off, worse off, or as we presently are?

Posted - March 15, 2019

Responses

It's a shame that people don't understand what marriage actually is.
      March 15, 2019 3:12 PM MDT

The reduction of strong marriages with stable and secure homes is the main reason for the disaster in which society finds itself today.  There are two generations of people who generally are not prepared for life in any way, shape or form, and they find themselves completely incapable of maintaining any semblance of healthy relationships.  And, they will breed. 
      March 15, 2019 4:14 PM MDT

Better off without such nonsense ....one set of grandparents did many moons ago ,but no one else in my family ever did.....it's meaningless and a total waste of time and money......
    pIf you love your partner you will stay with them....if you don't your a fool for staying unless it only companionship you want or need....
    England is nearly a police state again......you won't be able to pick your nose without asking the police or local government....:( 
      March 15, 2019 4:47 PM MDT

Incrementally, it's been diminishing as time goes by, and theoretically it could disappear altogether as your post suggests.  It's difficult to surmise as to whether that's good, bad, or indifferent.
    ~
      March 16, 2019 3:55 AM MDT

What are you talking about?

There are two things called marriage. One is a natural condition when a man and a woman DECIDE they are married. The other is a legal privilege granted by the government for the purpose of gaining jurisdiction over the children.
      March 16, 2019 9:02 AM MDT

Huh?
    __
      March 16, 2019 10:31 AM MDT

• This is the only point about which I am at loggerheads with my parents. I am staunchly in favour of the first type, whereas they keep harping on the second. 
      March 17, 2019 6:25 PM MDT

We'd invent something similar.  We have to have definition order and system in our tribes.  
      March 16, 2019 10:32 AM MDT

There is both psychological and philosophical value in a man and a woman binding their transcendental selves in a public ceremony when that is available.

It's about the a vows and promises they make to each other.

This song is appealing, but human beings tend to fail in their good intentions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCDDKlXUAQ This post was edited by tom jackson at March 17, 2019 10:35 PM MDT
      March 17, 2019 10:29 PM MDT

It would be more or less of everything!
      March 18, 2019 4:31 AM MDT