Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Can you name the only other living thing that starts fires to hunt for its food....?

Can you name the only other living thing that starts fires to hunt for its food....?

Posted - March 17, 2019

Responses

Firehawks?  Very interesting question, btw.  I learned something new today.  :) 
      March 17, 2019 8:52 PM MDT

STICK with me kid and you'll learn something new every day.....hehe. 
      March 18, 2019 3:36 AM MDT

You bet I will!  

March 18, 2019 9:08 AM MDT

You can be my Asker's pet....:) 
      March 18, 2019 10:44 AM MDT

Dear NJ.

I have enjoyed your off-the-wall tid-bits, your political take on matters outside the U.S., but this?  This is the most extraordinary piece of info I have ever learned of.  Especially since I am (or was, have not looked at a copy for awhile) a huge fan of National Geographic and read many decades from cover to cover and never came across this idea.

That is just astounding to me.  Also, I don't know of any animals that use fire either.  You would think monkeys would have caught on by now.  

Maybe that is where the idea of dragons came about in the first place.   Maybe some prehistoric bird was savvy to this tool as well.
    Thanks NJ.  
      March 18, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

https://www.quora.com/What-are-other-animals-who-use-fire-like-humans-do
      March 18, 2019 12:39 PM MDT

BIG BIG UPDATE 2019 due to publications in 2018 and thereafter

There are SOME animal species.

A few animals other than of the genus Homo (and eventually of the later Australopithecus) are or were able to use fire. "Use" as in any way of using, like playing with a burning wood or extinguishing fire or lighting a fire or carry a torch, without a training by a human.

There is a saying that rhinos may trampel on burning grass. It' s not been proven and the film mentioning this behavior in Botswana is based on a saying from a different continent.

Few animals may take advantage of fire: wasps are attracted by burnt wood to look for prey there.

Three (3) species of Australian raptors (“firehawks”) have been proven or suspected of spreading bushfires in order to chase prey out of dense vegetation (Australian “Firehawk” Raptors Intentionally Spread WildfiresIntentional Fire-Spreading by “Firehawk” Raptors in Northern Australia; video: Firehawk Raptors Are Predatory Birds That Start Forest Fires on Purpose). The three species are: Black Kite (Milvus migrans), Brown Falcon (Falco berigora) and Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus). Often these birds spread fire collectively only to chase the escaping animals together. Such groups of raptors can be as large as one hundred birds. They cannot ignite fire and have to take the opportunity given in nature.

Since the three species are not direct ancestors or descendants of each other and the attitude of using fire by them is restricted to a specific geographic area and not observed in other areas the development of this behavior cannot be accounted for by a single common nor a parallel evolution in these species. Instead, this behavior demonstrates a horizontal transfer of knowledge, known as “learning by copying”. A behavior that must be learnt by each individual animal (hawk) and passed along to the next generation and even horizontally from one species to another is called “culture” in biology, see Animal culture - Wikipedia.

The “firehawks” demonstrate the ability of animals to acquire behaviors and to be able to pass them on formerly believed to be restricted to humans only.

Only humans (and maybe wasps) are attracted by the smell of burnt flesh. You can notice this odd behavior during barbecue season.
    Only humans are attracted by burnt starch (in combination with protein, a Maillard reaction). It is the smell of baked bread or pop corn. No insect or rat goes there, we love it.
    Only humans are attracted by burnt fat. This is fried food like chips. No animal sniffs for it.
    We do prefere burnt food, to some extent, like roasted pea nuts.

This shows that heating food (which our ancestors may have performed since about half a million years) became already deeply rooted into our senses and inborn appreciations.

In addition there are plants that make wild fires more easy. One of them is eukalyptus, presenting etheric oils in dead wood. In the struggle for land with other plants eukalyptus is on advantage after a fire.

So you know I checked it out!!!!!!

Thanks, Tom.

March 18, 2019 12:43 PM MDT

I consider you as one of the few who have "informed" opinions as opposed to "personal" opinions.
      March 23, 2019 10:54 AM MDT

Do you know that They discover roughly fifty  different species across the world every single day...no one knows for sure what actually live in our oceans.....How many fish are caught and eaten each year by humans that are yet to be named.....How many are sucked from the seas and thrown back dead because they are unknown species...? 

They  say there are more different species living deep in the ground then exist above ground.....

I read they found a huge clam like creature living in the freezing waters of the noth Atlantic......They estimated it as the longest living creature ever discovered...it was something like 1200 years old....." I'm not 100% sure if it's age" it was some years ago that I read it.....
    It died as they tried to extract it from the ocean....:(  why not leave it alone to live .....:( 

There is some real facinating funny factual things in very young childrens baby books.......I find info by chance in the strangest of places.....
    There is a man made fire burning under Russia....the peat has been on fire for thirty years or longer....the area alight can be seen from space..... The area on fire is vast and looks like a flat volcano.....it has been given a funny name and is a tourist attraction now.....lol 
      March 18, 2019 4:05 PM MDT

If you read The National Geographic ,there was an article in one I read once about a tribe in Africa that had hands and feet that resembled an Ostrich foot....half the tribe has three toes and fingers on each hand and foot....the other half of the tribe was normal....
    There are areas of India and China were the average life span is just 35 years.....if I lived there I think I'd move if I was told that...:(     
      March 18, 2019 4:13 PM MDT