Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some people find being complimentary very difficult but have no problem with being insulting. Why is that? Jealousy?

Some people find being complimentary very difficult but have no problem with being insulting. Why is that? Jealousy?

They apparently admire very few folks but there is a multitude of those they don't. OR they are very shy being admiring of and saying so. Why I have no idea.

Posted - March 24, 2019

Responses

To be frank, I don't admire many people even though I may admire something they say, do, wear, etc. But then I have no problem complimenting anyone either. However, when I do compliment someone, it's an honest, heartfelt compliment. I don't compliment folks just to pass the time or to make them feel better. I also try very hard not to insult anyone for anything whether I admire them or I don't admire them. :)
      March 24, 2019 7:31 AM MDT

Seriously ru? Gosh I admire a lot of folks all the time for many things and I TELL THEM SO. I believe I have complimented you on more than one occasiom. I say what I think. Why doesn't everyone? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply! :) You say you don't compliment folks "just to pass the time or to make them feel better". Why would you withhold making people feel better at all for any reason?. Here's a story that is TRUE. I was in a market one day decades ago and I saw a very lovely lady whose blouse caught my eye. I told her she looked lovely and the blouse suited her. I meant every word. I had no other motive. She teared up. She said that it was going to be her FIRST DAY OF CHEMO and she wanted to look as nice as she could. We hugged. She told me that my telling her that made her day. Now why would I want to DEPRIVE anyone of feeling good? I didn't know how much that compliment would mean to her. I had no way of knowing that. So we are not at all alike in that respect ru. If I can make people feel better by being honest then it makes me feel good. So when people compliment you how does it make YOU feel? As if they are just passing time or killing time and have nothing better to do or just want to make you feel better? Whatever. You don't think for a minute they really think feel believe that what they are telling you is what they truly think? Sad that. I had someone on another internet social site tell me years ago that when anyone compliments her she doesn't trust them. She thinks they want something from her. True story. A dame like that isn't my cuppa at all. It takes all kinds. Different strokes. SIGH. I wonder how many people feel as you do and do as you do? This post was edited by RosieG at March 24, 2019 11:27 AM MDT
      March 24, 2019 11:21 AM MDT

You hit the nail on the head. If you can make someone feel better by being "honest", in your case about a blouse this lady was wearing, then you will. I do the same. Here in AM, I've complimented a couple of people because I admired their honest, common-sense approach when they answer a question. However, if I can't be honest in a compliment then I simply won't give one because if I did, I would be lying and that I will not do.
      March 24, 2019 4:44 PM MDT

I never say what I don't mean ru. NEVER. I always say what I mean. ALWAYS. So it would never occur to me that a compliment wouldn't be honest. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thy.
      March 25, 2019 1:20 AM MDT

Doesn't that describe you to a T?
      March 24, 2019 7:35 AM MDT