Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Why cannot people understand their dreams when it is their own brain that creates them?

Why cannot people understand their dreams when it is their own brain that creates them?

WHAT is going on inside my brain without me knowing about it?

Posted - August 29, 2016

Responses

• I understand there's nothing to understand.  They are not some gateway to a higher consciousness. 

August 29, 2016 10:31 AM MDT

• This is a good indication that the human brain just doesn't work right.

I would wager most engineers don't dream.

August 29, 2016 10:32 AM MDT

• Because it's the part of the brain that is below the conscious that creates them. :)

August 29, 2016 10:32 AM MDT

Okay.
      August 29, 2016 10:48 AM MDT

Har har...
      August 29, 2016 10:49 AM MDT

Yes.. the mysterious part of the brain.
      August 29, 2016 10:50 AM MDT

You sleep, but your brain doesn't. It has to continue working to keep you alive. The messages are roaming. Sometimes they don't make sense. But the brain will use information it has programmed in there and use it with the rest of the info already there. We call it our conscience.
      August 29, 2016 11:01 AM MDT

All right.
      August 29, 2016 11:18 AM MDT

It's just running tests.

August 29, 2016 9:18 PM MDT

To check my brain functions are OK? ..that's nice.
      August 29, 2016 9:56 PM MDT

One theory is that dreams are linked to the way the brain processes memory - though why my dreams usually feature minutely-detailed images of totally fictitious places it's made up on the spot, I cannot imagine! Or perhaps imagination -whatever that is neurologically - can have a high old time without the awake you getting in its way.

Usually we forget dreams on waking, though we might recall bits of particularly vivid dreams because we seem to want to do so. Generally though they mean nothing. They are just jumbled fragments the mind is busy sorting while other areas of the brain are keeping the body alive and you fast asleep so you can't distract it from its important work.

One aspect of the latter duty is simple and obvious when you think about it: it raises the thresholds of your senses so you can sleep without leaving you defenceless. You won't notice ordinary sounds, low light or contact with the bed even when turning over in your sleep; but a sudden loud noise may awaken you, your sight may respond to a sudden rise in light level, someone may wake you by shaking or patting you.

Sleep is a very important function common to most animals - and the brain is pretty busy during it.
      October 5, 2016 6:24 PM MDT