Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why do we have different religions if there is one "God" only?!

Why do we have different religions if there is one "God" only?!

Posted - August 30, 2016

Responses

Perhaps a parable would help:

One day, seven people from different tribes and cultures were coming back from a construction site.  All of a sudden they see a column of bright light descending from the heavens. A voice from the column announces that it is the ONE TRUE GOD and that all shall worship Him/Her/It above all other gods! All seven agree that what they've seen is GOD!  The One and Only TRUE God!

They go back to their respective peoples and convey, precisely, what they've just seen on the trip and what the Entity of light has told them. Only trouble is, each culture has its own idea of what a column of light looks like, and what each of the words uttered by the Entity 'really means.'  Generations pass and confusion grows...unto the modern day when the members of each of a theoretical seven religions (not counting the thousand or so sects which branched off the original seven to form religions all their own) are literally at each other's throats over what amounts to definitions. Is a 747 really a chariot of fire, and was the column of light really the Arch?  Is God Jean Luc Pickard?

BTW, much of the source of this confusion is explained, ironically enough, in the bible. :-)

August 30, 2016 3:53 AM MDT

Duh....Because different people in different cultures had different beliefs ?

August 30, 2016 3:58 AM MDT

Close.  Look up. :-)

August 30, 2016 4:03 AM MDT

One can't subscribe to all religions, they only subscribe to one (if any). They're always going to say their God is the one true God.
      August 30, 2016 4:07 AM MDT

LOL!

August 30, 2016 4:19 AM MDT

• Ask a class of children to 'write a story' and you'll get different results.

August 30, 2016 4:42 AM MDT

I think I just did. ;-)
      August 30, 2016 4:49 AM MDT

Part of the problem is that not everyone agrees on who God is. We can't even all agree if there's only one! The Hindu faith has (I believe) thousands of gods, Buddhism believes everyone's a god (I think, I'm pretty hazy though), Christianity holds to a single god (but it's complicated), and so on and so forth.

Even if you look at all of the different religions with only one god, who their god is differs. Christians believe that you must believe in our God, or you can't be saved, as do Muslim believers (only their single god, the same historically, become different with Muhammad), but the "requirements" are different. Thus, multiple religions sharing monotheism.

August 30, 2016 4:58 AM MDT

If there is one god, and he shows himself to all cultures, couldn't they share beliefs?

August 30, 2016 4:59 AM MDT

Thank you. This is my point. We got so many different religions, and we are supposed to believe that only ONE of them is the correct one to live by, and ALL the others are wrong. This keeps me puzzled, it is simply not logic to me.
      August 30, 2016 5:05 AM MDT

Hmm. So all others are having a fake God? Makes no sense to me. I'll stick to my no-subscription. :-)
      August 30, 2016 5:06 AM MDT

Hmm. One question, which chicken is the true chicken? Oh, make it two questions... Which came first, the egg or the chicken?
      August 30, 2016 5:07 AM MDT

•   August 30, 2016 5:09 AM MDT

Duh... I'm aware about the different cultures and religions... Leads me back to my original question... Why do we have different religions if there is one "God" only?!
      August 30, 2016 5:10 AM MDT

Nah, doesn't really help. If there were one God only and it would be one and the same, that God wouldn't let its supporters fight each other without consequences.
      August 30, 2016 5:11 AM MDT

• Hey Sapphi :)

I'm in pedant mode so forgive me ... The western concept of God, that is Christianity, allows only one God... Eastern beliefs allow many ... So there's the first problem.

It's a huge difference in beliefs .. one or many? ... Or none at all and we take responsibility ourselves?

The jury is out and I don't think they'll reach a consensus

August 30, 2016 5:22 AM MDT

• The rooster I believe ...

August 30, 2016 5:24 AM MDT

• Cheeky :)

August 30, 2016 5:25 AM MDT

Thank you ozzie. I didn't add the many to create too much disturbance. The paradox is big enough as such but you are right. Hmm. Just got a follow up question to this one... Is it that the fewer Gods (but minimum one God) we have in our religion, the more aggressive we get towards the other religions?
      August 30, 2016 5:31 AM MDT

Hmm. I've been accused this and more before. :-)
      August 30, 2016 5:32 AM MDT

;-)
      August 30, 2016 5:32 AM MDT

• And with good reason my Siren :)

August 30, 2016 5:46 AM MDT

Eh, you were the Siren challenging me to do the Odysseus... Remember?! ;-)
      August 30, 2016 5:50 AM MDT

;-)
      August 30, 2016 5:51 AM MDT