Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Why is the VERY early morning constant, constant, constant chatter and twittering of birds regarded as SO lovely to SO many people?

Why is the VERY early morning constant, constant, constant chatter and twittering of birds regarded as SO lovely to SO many people?

I don't always sleep so well and I find the birds' daily early morning decisions to incessantly yell at the world irritating.

Where I live, winter months are when the birds are away -- and the silence of winter's early mornings? THAT'S what I find lovely.
:)

Related image

Posted - April 4, 2019

Responses

Interesting, Its called the "dawn chorus" when the birds wake up and start singing.  Builds up in Spring and reaches a fever pitch at the beginning of summer. At that time can be very intense and is almost like the birds of each particular species are competing with one another.  Which may be a mating thing.  I don't care for man-made noise such as boom-boxes and loud music with the bass boosted but for me the birds singing are restful and refreshing and a great accompaniment to my early A.M. jogging.  I even have CDs of bird song which I play for enjoyment, for relaxation and reading.  I remember seeing on TV some years ago a routine in which a comic (Chris Grodin?) disparaged crows singing around his home in the early morning.  Guess its our perspective.  For me nature is a very positive thing although others see only doom and disease and destruction. 
      April 4, 2019 4:41 AM MDT

Thanks for answering, officegirl.
    I see nature as positive, too. And I don't see doom and destruction in their chatter -- I just can't sleep at all once they start. And it's so endless. I admit I don't see loveliness in it if the birds literally wake me up.
     If I'm already in a "post-refreshing-night's-sleep" awake mode, the twittering doesn't bother me so much.
      April 4, 2019 4:47 AM MDT

Oh, and I rarely hear man made noises so early in the morning but I get your point on man-made noises.
    The sirens of emergency vehicles really get to me, too. SO loud. I get the point of why they need to be loud but it literally hurts me hearing them.
    I think it may be the early morning aspect of the birds that I let bug me.
      April 4, 2019 4:51 AM MDT

• I feel the same about crickets and wind chimes.  They can be very nice to listen to .. but not when you're trying to sleep.
      April 4, 2019 5:18 AM MDT

I've noticed wind chimes before, on a gentle day. I'd think they could get annoying on really windy days.
      April 7, 2019 6:02 PM MDT

They are singing songs of thankfulness:  for the meals they are provided daily, the feathers they have to keep them warm, a place to live and raise their young and the ability to live in the very best places on earth: in the welcoming arms of a tree.  This post was edited by . at April 7, 2019 11:42 AM MDT
      April 4, 2019 5:32 AM MDT

Maybe they could sing those songs of thankfulness a little quieter? Or maybe more of "Be Still and know I'm God"?
    I'm just joking around with you. Thanks for answering, MorningStar.
      April 7, 2019 6:03 PM MDT

I think it may depend on where you live and the numbers and types of birds there. Fair to say songbirds aren‘t a majority in your area? 

We could wax poetic and ponder the call of the sunrise and the promise of a new day, blah, blah, blah, but if you are besieged by a murder of crows and buzzards this probably is a literary fantasy unrealized. 

We have no such racket other than the occasional calls of seabirds in the morning (which is a good sign that the fish are running) here in S Fla, but up at our place on the Finger Lakes, songbirds are plentiful. If they are singing, it typically indicates no bears nearby. So, cause for a light heart. 
      April 4, 2019 6:07 AM MDT

I really don't officially know the difference between a bird and a songbird. if they're loud, I get annoyed.
    But what's funny is that my favorite bird is the crow. i like their seemingly arrogant and self-assured attitude.
    Thanks, Don Barzini.
      April 7, 2019 6:06 PM MDT

• there is a little bird hangout spot right outside my bedroom window in the gutter. they make me wanna buy a bb gun
      April 4, 2019 6:39 AM MDT

Yeah, I can relate.
      April 7, 2019 6:06 PM MDT

The robins are my morning alarm clocks. That means my windows are open and the air is nice.
      April 4, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

That's cool. Nice.
    Thanks.
      April 7, 2019 6:07 PM MDT

I have live birds in my HOUSE that like to chatter.  I love it.  It makes me feel ALIVE and FREE.

They fly all over the place and one sleeps in a curtain in my room.  She is very active in the a.m. because she has a boyfriend who calls out to her in the living room when the sun comes out and they call back and forth till he finally decides to come in my room and join her.  Then he kisses and feeds her, and I just roll over and go back to sleep.

And then there are six more to add to the happy chorus.  I love bird song and I will never get tired of their Happy.  They chatter when they are happy and during certain times of the day.  And they love noise.  They love the vacuum cleaner.  It makes them chatter up a happy storm.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 7, 2019 6:08 PM MDT
      April 4, 2019 9:06 AM MDT

Great stuff there, Sharonna! I forgot you live with birds.
      April 7, 2019 6:07 PM MDT

Good thing you don't have a cat.
      April 7, 2019 6:09 PM MDT

There are a couple of trees right outside my bedroom window and the clamor of the birds in the morning around 4:30-5:00 AM is never-ending.  The songbirds are OK, but there are sparrows and some other birds that always sound as though they are angry.  Their sound is more like a squack than a trill.  For a while, we had crows and they sound awful.  Fortunately, they're gone.
      April 4, 2019 10:20 AM MDT

April 7, 2019 6:08 PM MDT

• You should try living under a cliff inhabited by ravens..  Holy chit!
      April 4, 2019 6:51 PM MDT

I'll pass, I guess.
      April 7, 2019 6:08 PM MDT

Don't do that. (What am I supposed to do with these silly young millenial girls?) This post was edited by Element 99 at April 11, 2019 2:06 AM MDT
      April 7, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

Any sounds I don't like I just turn off my hearing aids ha ha.
      April 7, 2019 6:39 PM MDT

Good idea!
      April 8, 2019 7:51 AM MDT

This is the simple fact of 10,000 plus birds and/or insects are screaming

A.  I am horny

B.  I am hungry

Forget the elaborate explanations, it all boils down to those two factores
      April 8, 2019 3:25 PM MDT