Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it socially acceptable/ ethical/ moral for girls to join Boy Scouts?

Is it socially acceptable/ ethical/ moral for girls to join Boy Scouts?

Posted - April 7, 2019

Responses

No....why would they ever want to ....and why would any guy want to join the Girl Guides....:( 
    The gone made over all this PC crap....We are all allowing ourselves to be led by fools and god knows why we stand for it....

Big brother is here for all of us...and we are all to complacent to do anything about it....
      April 8, 2019 1:45 AM MDT

• The PC crowd was actually quite vocal against this and about how it is "problematic"  that a boys organization is taking numbers from.a female organization and how the boy Scouts is a bad idea for girls.because they won't ever be able.to help them with a girl's issue..  Y'all claiming it was PC pressure aren't educated on what led to this decision,  the backlash from the PC crowd,   that girls have been involve in.most branches and aspect of the BSA for decades, how many times the BSA has come.under fire from the PC crowd over other issues they stood strong against, or that it  was mostly a financial decision do to struggling enrollment of boys alone. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 11, 2019 12:50 PM MDT
      April 11, 2019 2:58 AM MDT

?    But why would it not be?   I saw a Scout presentation oh about a year ago and seemed like they were into some good things.  Community-minded things as well as personal growth things. 
      April 8, 2019 4:46 AM MDT

Changes the character of the organization. Pleases the politically correct brigade. 
      April 8, 2019 5:10 AM MDT

How does it impact the character of the organization? 
      April 8, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

Not only that, I believe it's been "legally" forced upon those organizations by lawsuits that disallow exclusion based on gender.  There are certain segments of modern society that want to completely abolish gender and the natural differences between the genders.
      April 8, 2019 6:03 AM MDT

Well said, person.
      April 8, 2019 6:47 AM MDT

Thank you, human of nondescript gender.
    ~
      April 8, 2019 7:21 AM MDT

• Well said but patently and demonstrably wrong.  
      April 11, 2019 3:00 AM MDT

• No it really hasn't..  As a former Scout and someone with current ties to it they had no external pressure  to do so other than lots of girls wishing they could join and have an.outlet for those types of activities.  The Girl Scouts is a joke and doesn't provide them.with those things.  The BSA mad the decision on its own to help enrollment numbers while their traditional base of boys us shrinking.  To much dismay and outrage from the Girl Scouts and several woman's organizations.  When they exclude girls they get " that's sexist " crap for it,  when they include them they get called out for attacking girls groups.  No winning. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 11, 2019 8:05 AM MDT
      April 11, 2019 2:31 AM MDT

You are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.  These are points on which you and I disagree, and there's no requirement that we have to agree on them.  I have no desire whatsoever to change your mind, and I know you won't change mine.
      April 11, 2019 5:58 AM MDT

• Never said you aren't entitled to your opinion.  However your opinion seems to based on assumed speculation against demonstrable facts.  There was no push or force from the PC crowd and the BSA did it as logistic decision which is probable and know.  It is also a fact that the only push from feminist and P. Crowds over this was AGAINST them doing it.  You know we are entitled to.our opinions of course,  but some people hold the opinion we live in a flat Earth even though it.is known their opinion is demonstrably incorrect and based on misinformation.
      April 11, 2019 6:15 AM MDT

• You're saying you believe they were legally pushed.  That is more than an opinion.  That is an accusation that we know isn't true and can be proven. There is and was no legal push.  

Also stating we are all entitled to our opinion is unnecessary. We all already no that and there is no use in stating it just as stating In my honest opinion is unnecessary unless one wants to snowflake,  it is already known and assumed.
      April 11, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

My daughter used to like going to our Boy Scout camp-outs, but back then she couldn't join. She was kinda the camp mascot.
      April 8, 2019 6:46 AM MDT

• Same when I was a kid in the scouts. Female   Family members were allowed to attend in a diminished role to.join activities but didn't get to.participate ( only observe) meetings,  weren't allowed any funds we raised, or able to wean any achievements.  Yet they were allowed and often did tag along.
      April 11, 2019 2:47 AM MDT

If they org want to make a play for the girls to join then they should not be called the BOY Scouts.  They should rename...THE SCOUTS. 

Other than that is just causes confusion to young children. 
      April 8, 2019 7:59 AM MDT

They actually did. The official name is apparently Scouts BSA now. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/boy-scouts-remove-name-changes-gender-a8333071.html 
      April 8, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

Angie would have liked that.
      April 8, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

• As a former boy scout and the brother of a former girl scout.???

I think it is pretty.cool.  The BSA does a lot of good and gives a lot of good opportunities and teaches good lesson.  Things the Girl Scouts doesn't.  Which has become a shell of its original.goals and missions.   It's sad they allowed it to happen but the Girl Scouts doesn't offer much other than basic civics to girls.  It has failed its purpose and original goals if teaching hands on crafting/tinkering  skills and outoor skills in ADDITION to civics.

Since the girl.scouts dropped the ball I think it is pretty generous and cool the BSA made the decision to include them.  It helps them and it helps the BSA with its shrinking enrollment.  They did this against strong opposition from  the GSA and other feminist groups.

It is also worth noting girls in the BSA is not new.  They have been enrolled in Sea Scouts, Venture scouts, and Explorer Scouts  for decades.  Varsity Scouts for slightly shorter.  Also they allowed girls at regular CuB and Boy scout meetings.  We had them there . Sisters of manager were allowed to accompany projects. In a badgeless uniform.  They could participate in projects and attend callouts  but where not allowed to.participate or have a say in the meetings . Also no pack funds went to them. They were  referred to as the pack auxillery and were allowed to accompany on many activities to have some of the experience.

So fact is girls being included in the Boy Scout Organization is not new.  It's been a part of it for decades.  The only change is two more ranks of Scouting have been opened up.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 11, 2019 8:06 AM MDT
      April 11, 2019 2:44 AM MDT

• If this bothers you don't blame the BSA or SJW crap,  blame the Girl Scouts for losing its way and letting girls down for so long the girls were thirsty for a real Scouting organization and experience besides selling cookies. Scouting is a great thing for kids.  Both were supposed to have their own.organizations.  The Girls Scouts dropped the ball and became a shell.if a civics organization with little to offer most that wanted to Scout.  I am happy the BSA stepped up. Maybe the girl Scouts can also just restructure and become.unisex and each focus on different things.  Maybe there are some boys who rather skip all the fun and meat stuff and join the GS and just focus on Home Ec, simple  civics, and selling cookies.
      April 11, 2019 2:52 AM MDT

I intentionally avoided saying why I was asking this because I wanted to hear the honest feedback of others. If I explained my situation, the answers here would be different. 

A couple weeks ago, I posted some photos to my personal Facebook account. A few hours later, my brother messaged me and asked if my daughter was wearing a Boy Scout uniform. I acknowledged that she was. He asked why. I explained that, as a Girl Scout, I was taught how to make S'Mores and play music with water glasses. None of the things I ever did with my troop benefited me in any way. My eldest son was a Boy Scout. He did all kinds of stuff. So, when my daughter asked if she could participate in Boy Scouts, we went on search for a pack which accepted girls. That's the other thing worth noting. It's up to the individual packs to decide. Ergo, my daughter was not forced upon a group of unsuspecting boys. Her pack master chose to accept girls. I also wrote to him in advance to clarify. We were welcomed with open arms. Technically, she's still a Cub Scout this year. Her Scout master is considering getting established as a Boy Scout pack for this coming year, so she doesn't have to leave the group. That's not something I've asked him to do. That's something he's choosing to pursue on his own because he wants her to continue with the group.

Fast forward to now, she's in a really awesome pack. Our meetings are held at a local American Legion post. As such, we often support each other. The veterans (men and women) are really great with the kids. We do joint events. We recently participated in a flag retirement ceremony. One of the vets was there and happened to be wearing shorts, which revealed his prosthetic leg. He teared up as he retired one of the flags. Can you tell me my daughter would have experienced that in Girl Scouts? Absolutely not. She is learning what it means to be part of something greater and learning what kinds of sacrifices people make for us and our country. We've got another vet coming in to teach the kids about service dogs. We've got a service project involving polishing the gravestones of vets and tidying the cemetery. Would this happen in Girl Scouts? No.

We've pitched tents in the rain, prepped whole meals at a campsite, gone on hikes, learned how to tie knots, learned how to handle knives properly and how to respect them as tools. Again, none of this would have happened in Girl Scouts. She's learning responsibility, civic duty, and developing character.

To this, my brother responded with something along the lines of, "A parent can do all those things on their own."

So, I then explained that there was no way I would have been able to link up with a veteran's organization as we have on my own. (The point of highlighting the vet connection was because my brother is a combat vet.) I also noted that many of these things, I couldn't have done on my own, don't have the skills to do, or wouldn't have thought of to do on my own. Adding to this, I'm a single mother and my children's' father is not very involved. When he is, he's not active. Being affiliated with this organization means that my daughter is being surrounded by positive male role models. It's something every child needs- to see responsible people of all genders engaging socially and mindfully. I also think engaging with the female vets is good for her. Granted, all this focuses on my daughter, but my son is in the same pack. This experience is fantastic for them.

Anyway, following this, my brother responded with, "I disagree with you. I just hope she doesn't start thinking she's a boy."

Now, anyone who knows anything about psychology is going to understand that this is not the type of thing that results in transgendered people. There are actually biological differences and changes in brain structure/ responses. But, I also knew there was no point in trying to explain this to my brother. He's got his own thing going on. I nearly wrote back that she wasn't going to become transgender, but she might become a lesbian (also not possible based upon this experience.) But, I also realized he wouldn't see the humor in my response. So, I just reassured him that her time in Boy Scouts would not condition her to be a boy. He still disagrees with all of it, but... meh. I don't care to have his approval. 

Anyway, I avoid conflict with my family, especially my brother. I'd consider him to be one of the most close-minded conservatives I know. I would have picked his brain more, but it would have ended in disaster. Ergo, I came here to try to find out why he feels the way he does, or at least why others might feel the same.

From what I can tell, it seems to mostly boil down to tradition and people not wanting private organizations to have government-imposed requirements. I do believe you addressed the latter on why Boy Scouts made the decision to allow girls. This, paired with the fact that it's decided on a pack-level, seems to negate that argument. As for tradition... there's really no argument against that, though I don't necessarily think tradition is a good reason to do anything on its own.
      April 15, 2019 1:11 PM MDT

If you allow this  then you MUST allow boys to join the girl scouts. If you don't you are a hypocrite.
      April 14, 2019 11:33 AM MDT

That wasn't part of the question, but no, I don't have an issue with a boy joining Girl Scouts. I can't fathom one wanting to, though. The organization is weak.
      April 15, 2019 1:12 PM MDT