Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Any of you know who Bryson de Chambeau is? A highly intelligent guy who is using high tech analysis to win at golf. Science rocks right?

Any of you know who Bryson de Chambeau is? A highly intelligent guy who is using high tech analysis to win at golf. Science rocks right?

He shot a 6 under par 66 on the first day of The Masters in  Augusta, Georgia...the course that Bobby Jones designed and where the winner each year gets a GREEN JACKET. Folks thought he was kinda crazy. Even he says sometimes he has to go down the rabbit hole to figure things out. Well crazy is paying off in golf. So far.

Posted - April 12, 2019

Responses

High tech analysis actually doesn't help that much.
    Sure, you can laser measure the green ... measure the wind direction and speed ... etc, etc, etc.
    But you still have the human element as the main factor.

So he could take all the measurements he wants ... but it still comes down to his playing.
    If he could perfectly plan for that, he would score 18 (getting a hole-in-one every time).
      April 12, 2019 7:18 AM MDT

He is doing something right but if he cannot hit the ball, it is all for naught. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 12, 2019 7:33 AM MDT
      April 12, 2019 7:31 AM MDT

Yep ... like bowling.  They even have markers on the lane to help.  But every lane is still different.
    I know a gal who plays in a league.  She can get a perfect 300, if she plays a particular lane that she practices on.
    But when she plays any other lane, she doesn't know them well enough to get that perfect score.
    Same if she has to play a different ball on "her" lane.

Of course, the other league teams know this, and if they win the flip they choose to take "her" lane to deny her playing on it.  

April 12, 2019 7:54 AM MDT

I think everyone wants to find an edge in whatever it is they do. I think  most of us want that edge to be legal and honorable. Just a different way of looking at something or thinking about something. So the guy is analytical and having that kind of mind he naturally applies everything he's got to the problem he is trying to solve. Surely you don't fault him for that do you Walt? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      April 14, 2019 7:00 AM MDT

Nope.
    As someone with an analytical mind, myself ... I have always tried to apply it to any sports I played.
    Sometimes it worked better than others - but as I say, it always comes down to the individual (human) faults.

EG: I know theoretically the best place for the bat and ball to connect, to send it to a specific location in the outfield ... but my body has a very difficult time making that connection.  LOL
      April 15, 2019 7:09 AM MDT