Discussion » Questions » History » Notre Dame has been destroyed by fire. BUILD A NEW SHINEY ONE? That is the answer? OH. NO. That is NOT the answer.

Notre Dame has been destroyed by fire. BUILD A NEW SHINEY ONE? That is the answer? OH. NO. That is NOT the answer.

Posted - April 17, 2019

Responses

Why not?  Antiquites have to start somewhere.  Maybe 1300 years from now what we rebuild will be considered an historical treasure.
      April 17, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

I think that this part of history should remain as it is.  

We cannot rebuild what is lost.  We can start again someplace else.  This is not going to go away because a few billionaires have the money.

Make another one.
      April 17, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

build a new one but keep the same style of architecture so it looks the same. 
      April 17, 2019 1:04 PM MDT

I haven't heard anyone talking of building a new one.
    They want to refurbish the interior, the roof, and the minarets that collapsed.

If you want to leave it "as is" ... I guess you are also against the maintenance to prevent the Jefferson Monument from shifting and collapsing?
    Everything should be left to fall apart, so it all looks like all the old ruins around the world.
      April 17, 2019 11:52 AM MDT

It can't be repaired EXACTLY as it was before, there isn't that much cured hardwood available. Modifications will be necessary.
      April 17, 2019 3:58 PM MDT

The majority of Notre Dame is fine. It's mostly the main spire that was damaged. There is no "new shiny" one being built, they're just repairing the parts that are damaged or structurally unsafe.
      April 18, 2019 3:02 PM MDT