Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » If vegans knew that plants actually don't like being eaten, would they eat anything at all?

If vegans knew that plants actually don't like being eaten, would they eat anything at all?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a11550/plants-can-hear-themselves-being-eaten-and-they-dont-like-it-17337795/

Posted - April 23, 2019

Responses

There are some fruitarians who only eat plants that have fallen from trees. Some don't eat seeds because they believe they're future plants. 

To each their own, I say! Personally, I don't think of plants as sentient beings. I do try to be respectful of our planet and most natural things. (exceptions are disease-ridden parasites like ticks, mosquitoes, fleas, etc. I've no respect for them). 
      April 23, 2019 7:51 AM MDT

Many people, "vegans"  (whatever that is taken to mean) or otherwise choose their food based upon what they like or what they deem to be good for their health rather than whether anything does or does not like to be eaten. 
      April 23, 2019 8:20 AM MDT

veg·an
    /ˈvēɡən/
    noun

1. 1.
      a person who does not eat or use animal products.
      "I'm a strict vegan"
    adjective

1. 1.
      using or containing no animal products.
      "a vegan diet"
      April 23, 2019 7:42 PM MDT

Not sure what that has to do with my answer.  I was telling you that many people who choose to eat that way do so for health reasons rather than what you said. 

That is a term I never heard until perhaps 10 years ago.  People my age thought in terms of being vegetarians or strict vegetarians.  Nobody said "vegan" and I would never use such a term.  Plus I have had people tell me it means other things than what you have listed. 
      April 23, 2019 7:52 PM MDT

I thought your reply indicated you weren't sure what 'vegan' means. I was attempting to be helpful. That was from the Google dictionary.

I'll leave you with this, if you are interested in what differentiates veganism and vegetarianism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism

While I am certain that some vegans and vegetarians choose not to eat animals for health, taste preference and environmental reasons, the majority choose these diets because they don't wish to participate in harming/killing animals. 

Have a good day!
      April 24, 2019 3:11 PM MDT

• Well, plants aren't innocent. Mistletoe is a parasite that grows by sucking the life out of a tree. Plants can be jerks. 
      April 23, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

By that token, human babies are parasites too. I doubt many people would call them jerks. :p
      April 23, 2019 3:45 PM MDT

I thought this was going to be horrifying and I would never eat again. lol

The fact that something living responds to stimulus doesn't mean it has an active brain nor feel pain. I suppose if it were true, that plants genuinely felt pain, many would gravitate to plants that do not or do as Savvy mentions and simply eat the fruit on the ground.
      April 23, 2019 3:43 PM MDT

Many of us read The Secret Life of Plants oh 40 years ago. In which it was demonstrated that plants responded to a nearby similar plant being harmed or eaten. 
      April 23, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

Hmm... I believe I missed that one. :/
      April 23, 2019 9:10 PM MDT

Plants reproduce and replace.  Unless you take them by the root.  Don't take them by the root.  Do not SIN that way.  
      April 24, 2019 12:54 AM MDT

Carrots, beets, onions?
      April 24, 2019 6:13 AM MDT

Most people like the smell of cut grass, but the scent is actually a signal of distress, plants release gasses equivalent to the reason we cry out in pain.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/plants-feel-pain.htm

Now all I can think of are the films The Happening, and The day of the Triffids.

April 24, 2019 2:14 PM MDT