Active Now

Morning Glory w/tulips
Discussion » Questions » Travel » If I lived in Canada and wanted to fly to Russia for a month and rent an apartment, how much do I need to pay and how much do I need to live

If I lived in Canada and wanted to fly to Russia for a month and rent an apartment, how much do I need to pay and how much do I need to live

Posted - April 29, 2019


  • 4301
    $300 - $500 for a (1-way) discount flight.

    If you're hiking, you could stay in hostels for free.
    If you want something more secure and private ... hotels will run $80 - $200/night (Travelocity).
    A 1-bedroom apartment runs $250 - $350 per month.

    Here's a site with the average expenses of living in Russia:

    Cost of living in Russia is 46.63% lower than in United States (aggregate data for all cities, rent is not taken into account). Rent in Russia is 68.75% lower than in United States (average data for all cities). This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at April 30, 2019 7:27 AM MDT
      April 29, 2019 3:18 PM MDT

  • they prob wouldn't even let you.  you can't just run up into another country and stay there for no reason.  
      April 29, 2019 3:50 PM MDT

  • 22400
    not sure, you rnight be able to find that info online
      April 29, 2019 4:48 PM MDT

  • 8461
    If you have to ask the cost that means you probably can't afford to fly.  Living in Canada you could just get yourself a dog team and sled and mush over the North Pole and then you are in Russia. 
      April 29, 2019 11:31 PM MDT

  • 31016
    Hmm...I've seen this question before. Do you live in Montreal?
      April 30, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

  • 1691
    You would have a slight problem, the Visa and the Visa Application. 

    A. One needs to be invited to visit Mother Russia, so you need a letter from a reputable Hotel or friend who will house you.  So one month 30 days time $145 (hotel plus taxes).  One cannot just go and rent an apartment - sorry

    B. Return Ticket to where you came from, estimate $1100 minimum

    C.  Health Insurance, since you are American you will need to purchase a travel policy including Medical Evacuation. Estimate $125-$225

    D.  Adequate means of support while there, for one month you must have in excess of travel expenses $1000 minimu

    I might suggest Moscow or St. Petersburg anywhere else the FSB do get pissy. There are many closed areas in Russia for foreigners.  To even travel through you need to be on a tour or invited group.  If you go do not break any rule and keep your mouth shut.


      April 30, 2019 7:34 AM MDT

  • 1190
    You would need at least 3000 canadian dollars. 1000 for the flight tickets, another 1000 to rent an appartment for one month ( use airbnb website, you can rent appartments there ), and a last 1000$ for the food and various expenses such as souvenirs, restaurants , gifts, etc.
      April 30, 2019 11:26 AM MDT