Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Pregnancy » In your country can a pregnant woman legally compel a man to undergo a paternity test?

In your country can a pregnant woman legally compel a man to undergo a paternity test?

Posted - April 29, 2019

Responses

not sure
      April 29, 2019 5:52 PM MDT

• Yes.   She can also refuse his request for one.  Which is pretty screwed up.
      April 29, 2019 5:55 PM MDT

• So a suspecting husband cannot really confirm if the child his wife is carrying is really his? That's not fair to him. Besides, such a law can even encourage a wife to go astray, wouldn't it? 
      April 29, 2019 6:01 PM MDT

• Nope, a paternity test is solely up to the mother. 
    She can refuse it whether one is trying to prove a kid is or isn't his.  You can have all the proof you aren't the dad but after you sign it it is up t her whether you can DNA test it to have it removed.  You can have all the evidence the kid is yours and same thing.

Honestly I don't see that scenario being much of an issue in our culture.  There a lot of problematic issues with it though.  
      April 29, 2019 6:06 PM MDT

• Where are you from? 
      April 29, 2019 6:40 PM MDT

In the USA, a paternity test is NOT solely up to the mother.
      April 30, 2019 7:38 AM MDT

• I know a couple people this became a huge issue for.
      April 30, 2019 1:57 PM MDT

With all due respect - our children are not separate from ourselves.  So if someone accepts us well then he must also accept them. Because they come with us.  He doesn't get to just pick and choose. This post was edited by officegirl at April 30, 2019 5:32 AM MDT
      April 29, 2019 8:08 PM MDT

That's just whack, officegirl.  We "must"?  You're either excluding or forgetting that not everyone accepts other people, and that there are men and women who want to accept a mate but not accept their mate's child or children.  People pick and choose every single day, and not always correctly. The This is not restricted to men being the antagonists, women also have the same potential as men to make poor choices in these matters.

I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong; I'm just saying it's reality. This post was edited by Randy D at April 30, 2019 7:21 AM MDT
      April 29, 2019 9:27 PM MDT

Not familiar with that expression. Of course people make bad or poor choices but from a practical point of view if someone says OK I like you but your kid has got to go - how effective is that going to be?
      April 30, 2019 5:37 AM MDT

Poor choices are made from a practical point of view?  Huh?  By definition, many poor choices are made from various points of view, and while a percentage might be practical, certainly not all of them are.

Whether or not it's effective doesn't belie the fact that it happens.
    ~
      April 30, 2019 7:19 AM MDT

Not in my state. 
      April 29, 2019 8:16 PM MDT

Really have no idea what such legalities are.   I would never have done any such thing. 
      April 29, 2019 8:05 PM MDT

It likely varies from state to state but I know in mine either the Mother or the potential Father can force a DNA test. 

This was passed about 20yrs ago here. I know a man who was one of the first men to do it. A woman claimed her kid was his and then disappeared for years. Then came back like 15 yrs later. He explained that a test was needed because there were now other children involved and did not want to confuse the other possible siblings.  So he called the state and they sent him the paperwork. When he brought it in the lady working the Family Support Dept was mad. And wanted to know how he got those papers. He told her from your boss. She calmed down but she was still mad that the potential Father thought he could force a test. And made sure he knew a positive test would mean child support etc. Very irritating. Anyway the test was done and it was positive and yes he and yes he paid support. 
      April 29, 2019 8:29 PM MDT

Generally speaking, paternity in my country (USA) is a civil, not a criminal matter---although refusal to take a court ordered paternity test can subject you to certain legal consequences.

I would be against a criminal penalty for a simple "refusal" because, as it stands now, the court has the discretion to determine whether requiring a paternity test is a reasonable request under the extant circumstances.

For the US, here's a site with excellent information to answer your question and expand on the contingencies:

April 30, 2019 7:34 AM MDT

Yes, you get a court order.
      April 30, 2019 11:04 AM MDT