Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Music » Many famous singers write their own songs, but not all singers. What are some of your favorite songs that you know were written by the

Many famous singers write their own songs, but not all singers. What are some of your favorite songs that you know were written by the

person who is most associated with the fame for the songs, or, on the other hand, what are some of your favorite songs that were written by someone other than the person who is famous for them?
~

Posted - May 4, 2019

Responses

dont know any
      May 4, 2019 5:38 PM MDT

Johnny Nash wrote and sang "I Can See Clearly Now"

Though Jimmy Cliff had a big hit cover of it, I can only associate the song with Nash. And Nash's voice --  from the very first note he sings in any song - - - -  his singing voice/tone is SO clear and beautiful! (And he, himself, is beautiful to simply look at, too.) He was my first teen-aged celebrity crush, when I first was exposed to his music.

May 7, 2019 6:29 PM MDT

Bobbie Gentry wrote and sang "Ode To Billie Joe"

- if I ever were asked to choose THE all-around best song/single/performance I've ever heard, this original version with Bobbie singing would be the one. 

May 7, 2019 6:35 PM MDT

Reba McEntire  had a huge hit with "Fancy"

-- but she pales to absolutely nothing when compared with songwriter Bobbie Gentry's original version. ( I am not a Reba fan at all.)

May 7, 2019 6:45 PM MDT