Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Was there ever a movie you saw that portrayed life the way you’d like to see it?

Was there ever a movie you saw that portrayed life the way you’d like to see it?

If so, why? 

Posted - May 5, 2019

Responses

• Only movie I can think of is “The Purge”. Let all the idiots kill themselves off. I’d probably be dead in less than 20 minutes though, so not sure if that’s a good idea. 
      May 5, 2019 5:31 PM MDT

I don't think I could take that movie. Horror films I've always liked but recently I get too upset. I recently found out the premise of the movie (up to that point, I only knew of it by its title) and just the thought of it scares me, let alone watching any of it happening.
    :)
      May 5, 2019 7:31 PM MDT

• I don’t think you would like it Welby. It’s very violent. There’s a new Ted Bundy movie on Netflix you might like. It’s more about the court case and him being his own lawyer. Annnnnd Zac Efron plays Bundy. It’s good :)
      May 5, 2019 7:43 PM MDT

Yeah, that true crime stuff we both like. and Zac would be good, ha! And Ted himself was quite the looker, too.
    Yes, I still remember your "good-looking serial killers" question.
    ;)
      May 5, 2019 7:48 PM MDT

• It’s such an interesting movie because from the perspective of his girlfriend at the time, who didn’t know he a serial killer. Shows how sweet he was with her and her daughter. Kind of creepy that someone so charming could be so insane. At the end it shows some real footage from courtroom and interviews that were portrayed in the movie.No gore Or murder in the movie, just talked about. 
      May 5, 2019 7:51 PM MDT

Sounds good -- sounds like it was based on that "The Killer Beside Me" book?
    And it was your question, wasn't it, about good-looking serial killers? I suddenly second-guessed myself on that.
      May 5, 2019 8:08 PM MDT

• It is based on a book, yes :)  of course that was my question!  think I’m the only one on here obsessed with hot serial killers lol. 
      May 5, 2019 8:10 PM MDT

and then there's me and Jeffrey D . . . 

May 5, 2019 8:14 PM MDT

• Yes, I’m still glad you never ran into him back in the day ;)
      May 5, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

While I can’t fault the idea of an idiot-free society, I can’t embrace that movie’s method of achieving it. 
    There must be a better way, yes? 
      May 5, 2019 8:45 PM MDT

• Infinity Gauntlet is the only other way.
      May 5, 2019 8:48 PM MDT

Less mess at least.
    Hmmm.... but that is saying half of everyone alive are idiots, if I remember ‘Infinity Wars’ correctly.

Maybe not a bad estimate, now that I think about it. 
      May 5, 2019 8:53 PM MDT

We've been saying for a long time Remove all warnings. 
      May 6, 2019 12:42 AM MDT

I like to think I am a realist. I accept the realities of life and do my best to live with them.   Which means I can't always be the best and most ideal person all the time even though those ideals are with me all the time.  Don't allow myself to wish for what I can't have but just do the best with what I can have. 
      May 5, 2019 7:30 PM MDT

I wonder if you might like "magnolia." It popped into my mind as I read your answer.
    I really like that movie. I think it fits what you've described, too.
      May 5, 2019 7:33 PM MDT

I could think of a number of movies that have a similar theme. Mostly low budget indies. 
      May 5, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

Yeah, you're right.
      May 6, 2019 7:36 PM MDT

Like for instance?  
      May 7, 2019 6:21 AM MDT

"Strangers in Good Company" 

- - a group of women on a bus trip and the bus breaks down

I chose it because it was the movie to immediately come to mind for me.
    And the women start reminiscing about their lives. A quiet, gentle, strong, loving, funny, moving movie -- the women come across as very honest and real. (I think I'm correct on this but not totally sure -- I've since read that the actresses in the movie are, indeed, talking about their own actual lives.) Fascinating movie for me and I like seeing how respectful and caring they are to each other, even though they are all so very different.

Related image
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 5, 2019 8:08 PM MDT
      May 5, 2019 7:41 PM MDT

Please tell me about it. I watched movies when I was younger but now when we do, which is seldom, mostly only a few favorites we own. 
      May 5, 2019 7:42 PM MDT

Darn - - I accidentally just erased my reply to you just as I was ready to post and I was really happy with it!

This won't be as good a reply but anyway -- In case you're asking me about "magnolia" -- was unsure because of the placement of your answer here.

"magnolia" has a large cast of characters. The movie follows along on their individual story lines, most of which do not overlap but sometimes their stories do. What I like about the movie is that every character in the movie rings true and authentic and real, whether or not they are of so-called "admirable" personality qualities. and. like you mentioned, all of them, in their own ways, are  trying to do the best they can with what they have and who they are. I admire the movie's gritty realism.
    The cast is pretty perfect all-around to me. Great performances.
    It's a quiet non-big-action type of film.

If you do end up watching it sometime, I hope you like it.

Image result for magnolia movie

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 5, 2019 8:41 PM MDT
      May 5, 2019 8:05 PM MDT

Interesting, thank you. I saw a movie on TV - really saw part of it twice - 20 years ago I liked very much but forgot the name so have never been able to track it down.  In spite of going to all kinds of movie-naming sites and looking at some of those movie compendiums. 
      May 5, 2019 8:10 PM MDT

You're welcome.

That would be so frustrating to know that there is a movie out there that you really like and are that you're unable to track it down. Sounds like you're doing everything you can to figure it out, though. I hope you find it.
      May 5, 2019 8:13 PM MDT

Perhaps.
      May 5, 2019 7:47 PM MDT