Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Business » Just got let go from my first job. How do I cope with this situation?

Just got let go from my first job. How do I cope with this situation?

It happened this past Thursday, after only 9 weeks. I was 1 of 2 AutoCad Drafters for a family-owned food service company, doing commercial kitchen floor plan layouts (I graduated in December w/ a BFA in Interior Design, and kitchen design is something I’ve always been interested in).

Long story short, I was let go because I didn’t have all the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing knowledge that was needed for the position... but the thing is, they KNEW this when they hired me. And they hired me anyway, with the understanding that they would train and teach me everything I needed to know, acting like it would be no problem whatsoever. Now I’ve been let go for that same reason, with my now ex-boss saying that “the company is falling behind on projects” and, “never in the history of the company have I had to pay to outsource these projects so we can get the mechanical and electrical part done. I’m spending a lot of money and the learning curve is just too big, and I need someone in here who can come in and do it from day one.”

While I fully understand his reasoning, I was blind-sided and didn’t see this coming at all. I did everything that was asked of me, everyday, for my boss and all the other design sales people, and was being told by everyone all throughout my time there (except my boss, who was an a-hole anyway, and I’m not/ wasn’t the only one with that opinion) how I was doing a good job, learning quickly, and how “I’d get it all eventually”. I don’t think it was right to be hired, only to be made to feel 9 weeks later that I’m bringing the company down, and the design salespeople are at risk of losing their livelihoods b/c I didn’t have 100% the scope of knowledge, esp. when the company said they would teach me.

Posted - May 6, 2019

Responses

Do you think you have a unique story?  This is how we learn.  Stop your sobbing and learn from this experience.  This is the REAL world and there are NO guarantees.  Your boss probably is an A-HOLE and uses people like you and eats them up and throws them back.  

This is your career.  You need to develop experience and know-how and not dream that your life is going to be one of success just because you went to school.  Lots of people go to school   It takes more than that.  It takes street smarts, know-how, how to deal with people like your boss and the ability to withstand all disappointments with some foresight about the fact that the loss of a job is something we all deal with, it could happen and what do you do about it if and when  it does.

Now you know.  

The next job you get should be one with the idea in mind that it may not work out, what you will do if it does not work out, and preparation for the fact that life is filled with a lot of disappointments. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 5, 2022 11:59 PM MST
      May 6, 2019 12:00 PM MDT

• ...ok then.
      May 6, 2019 12:08 PM MDT

Way to scare off the newcomers. *sigh*

Show her the nice Sharonna. Give her a brownie or something. lol
      May 6, 2019 12:11 PM MDT

I  am NOT being mean.  

This was not in any way scary.  This was a real answer.  I have had these kinds of situations so many times.  If anyone can give advice on this one, it is me.  

I have quit and been fired enough times to be an expert.  I think I gave splendid advice.  This is THE REAL WORLD. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 5, 2022 11:59 PM MST
      May 6, 2019 12:13 PM MDT

The advice was good. I think it was the "stop your sobbing" and "do you think you have a unique story" that was a little bit harsh for someone who doesn't realize how warm and cuddly you are. ;) This was her first question. I don't want her thinking we're mean. :o 
      May 6, 2019 12:15 PM MDT

This is the real world.  Man up.  I said you are not unique.  That is meant to comfort not to coddle.  We ALL go through this stuff.

If this is the way we are running the site now?  Give me a head's up.  I didn't know we are supposed to act a certain way towards someone who has never asked a question before.  I think we need to have a different color avatar then.  NEWBIE, be nice or they will leave the site?  Come on. If someone is that thin-skinned, they need to realize they are on a website.  

Are we this worried about our membership?  Or am I now obsolete?  

I have NEVER scared ANYBODY away EVER.  I do a bang up job of making friends with people.   Just because you don't like what I say, doesn't mean other people agree.   

Sure, you answer beautifully.  If everyone answered as you do (AND BELIEVE ME  I COULD DO SO) that is what we would have.  Informative, useful, creative answers.  Is this all you will allow now?    It needs a little SPICE.  

I can handle myself and I don't need anyone telling me how to talk to other people on here.  I am sure she and I will get along fine.  
      May 6, 2019 12:23 PM MDT

*sigh*
    If I was adminning you, I wouldn't have done it on a thread. I attempted to give a silly retort to lighten the air. That is all. Take it for what it's worth or disregard it. Either way. 
      May 6, 2019 12:32 PM MDT

Sadly, the best thing to do is probably to count your blessings. They sound like total flakes. Maybe he genuinely thought he could work with your abilities at the start and then realized later he couldn't, but even if that's true, it's indicative of his experience and personal management abilities. If it wasn't this, it would have eventually been something else. He just doesn't have it together. 

I don't know interior design or the specifics of your job well, but I do wonder if there are methods that will allow you to upskill in your weaker areas. Could you intern with someone for a while or find a company that would let you shadow someone? Are there online courses you can take to help fill some of the gaps? That is, if there are areas you aren't knowledgeable in that people in your profession typically are or that could help make you more competitive going forward. 

On a personal note, I'm a writer. I run my own content biz and typically cater to small businesses. I do their websites and blogs and stuff. I'm starting to miss things like vacations and health insurance, so I'll occasionally apply for an in-house position if it's a company I know and it has a good track record. I recently went through the interview process for one company. It was a massive application process and several interviews, all for a role that I was well-qualified to fill. Somehow, I got saddled with an interviewer who didn't have experience in leadership roles, had never interviewed, and didn't have any background in the job I'd be doing. She didn't like one of my answers and it was an answer I am 100% confident was the right one- at least for me. The thing was, I said we needed to tailor content to a specific audience and give that audience the answer that was right for them. She felt we should give everyone the same information. I still say she's wrong. I missed out on the job. It still makes me mad, but I also have to consider that this woman would have become my supervisor. I would have lost my sh!t working with her. It would have taken me all of about two minutes before I told her she was a moron and I would have been fired... so... yeah. I think your situation was similar. It wasn't a good fit. Better to be out now than be in a position with people who don't have it together. It was probably only a matter of time. Sorry. 
      May 6, 2019 12:10 PM MDT

Better to be out now than be in a position with people who don't have it together. It was probably only a matter of time. Sorry. 

I'm pretty sure I said the same thing.  
      May 6, 2019 12:15 PM MDT

No joke. I'm adding brownies to the gift shop if they're not already there and I'm giving you the first one.
      May 6, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

I am not giving you back anything.  I have to spend points for that.  I have been on here for four years now and I have only 70,000 points.  I would have had half a mill by now on Answer Bag.

No gift for you.  
      May 6, 2019 12:27 PM MDT

lol I don't expect anything back. I just like playing with the gifts. 
      May 6, 2019 12:32 PM MDT

You know I am very generous and would do anything for you.  That was a joke about the points.  Not about my wanting to gift you.  
      May 6, 2019 12:34 PM MDT

• Thanks @Just Asking; @Sharon Marie no, I don't think my situation is unique. No sobbing here either. Truth be told I was starting to feel unhappy in the position anyway, mostly because of my boss and his shitty attitude/ways. Now that I've had a few days to process what happened, I'm just left with feeling screwed over because they hired me knowing that I didn't know certain things, but acted like it was alright and like they were going to teach me, then turned around and just got rid of me and threw me under the bus in regards to how much money the company was having to spend to outsource work (though that's what they were doing anyway before I came along). If they knew it was like that, they shouldn't have hired me in the first place. I think they were just desperate to get someone in, because the drafter that was there before me apparently left to go join a plumbing company. Don't know the length of time between his departure and my arrival
      May 6, 2019 12:52 PM MDT

Hello WiseVirgo826
    Sorry to hear your first job in the industry didn't go as you had hoped.
    In commercial kitchen design there is so much more than just layout, there are so many things that will dictate layout, many things to consider. There are venting and exhaust requirements, fire suppression systems, lighting ( general, low voltage etc) plumbing, dwv systems for grey water and drains requiring grease traps, mop sinks, floor drains, cleaning station. Electrical load breakdowns and requirements, certain ADA requirements. Signage..
    It's a long list. 
    When you are starting out you should start developing a network of industry workers.
    People who can give you direction for many of these systems..start reading about these systems, there is a wealth of information on the net that will give general ideas of codes and standards for the industry...
    Keep learning and don't give up...
    Good luck to you
      May 6, 2019 1:45 PM MDT

You say they knew you had these shortcomings, and hired you with the understanding they would train you up.
    Was that actually in writing?

If so ... take them to your State Labor & Industries, and file for wrongful termination.

If not ... learn the lesson, and move on.
    Any "promise" that they aren't willing to put in writing, is worthless.
    (I mean, unless you take a recorder and record the conversation - which has its own legal issues)
      May 6, 2019 1:57 PM MDT

... or get another job.  Might be faster.   Might be cheaper.  Consider.  They have a corporation.  They have high-priced lawyers.  What priced lawyer does a newbie with no money have?  

What time?  If the newbie is jobless, this is a huge problem for most of us.  Do you spend your day researching and paying lawyers or do you look for another job?  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 6, 2022 12:02 AM MST
      May 6, 2019 1:59 PM MDT

He said it's a family-owned business.  So probably not a giant corporation.
    And just filing a case with the Bureau of Labor doesn't mean he can't get a job elsewhere while it goes through process.
    But if they put the agreement in writing, the BoL has more lawyers and money than the corporation does ... and the company is always assumed guilty.  They have to prove their innocence.
      May 6, 2019 2:28 PM MDT

You brought up a great point.  This is not a huge corporation. I have to go.  I'll get back on this if I remember.  I have issues still with this.  
      May 6, 2019 2:37 PM MDT

• Yeah it's not a corporation; it's technically a store, where they sell kitchen and restaurant equipment, to the public as well as commercially. Then there is a warehouse, a demo kitchen, then the office spaces in the back where I worked along with the other AutoCad Drafter and the people who handled invoices, sales orders, etc. 
      May 6, 2019 2:56 PM MDT

Sh*t happens. Pick yourself up and go get another job. If you're eligible, file for and collect unemployment insurance in the meantime.
      May 6, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

An old saying goes:
    You were looking for a job when you found that one... get back in the game. 

Seriously, you weren’t planning to retire from that job, were you? Another job was inevitable anyway. 

As it happens, the job market is good right now, all is not lost. You might look into training to gain skills and make yourself more marketable. 

Remember: it’s how many times you get back up that counts. 
      May 6, 2019 3:52 PM MDT

Let it go...they could have done this after a year.  You don't want to work for that company.  Buckle up and get out and find another job.  Good luck.
      May 6, 2019 5:27 PM MDT

just try to get another job, ive lost jobs rnyself
      May 6, 2019 5:56 PM MDT