Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » When someone invites you to an online meeting and does not specify if it will be voice or video, is one or the other usually implied?

When someone invites you to an online meeting and does not specify if it will be voice or video, is one or the other usually implied?

To clarify, this is a professional setting and the software can be set up to do just voice or both voice and video. 

Posted - May 9, 2019

Responses

• If they didn’t specify that it is a video conference, I would assume voice. But probably best to have your hair brushed and not be in PJ’s just to be safe :) 

May 9, 2019 9:25 AM MDT

Haha. I made the assumption it would be voice once and didn't prep at all. It was a new program and it automatically did video. :o I put my thumb over the camera and left it there the whole time. The person was bewildered and assumed I was having technical issues. 
      May 9, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

That depends on what type of meeting it is.

We do a lot of online meetings, because we are needing to share a demonstration or slide show with people who live/work in "far flung" locations.
    So the video is sharing computer screens - not videos of the individuals in the meeting.

On the other hand, if we are doing an online interview for a job ... those require videos of the individuals involved.
      May 9, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

i would ask thern if youre not sure
      May 9, 2019 4:39 PM MDT