Discussion » Questions » Communication » How will the next five years affect your life? Do you know? Do you care? Do you think you can affect changes?

How will the next five years affect your life? Do you know? Do you care? Do you think you can affect changes?

Elizabeth Warren rejects Fox News town hall invite, slams network's 'hate-for-profit' model

By MJ Lee, CNN

Updated 1524 GMT (2324 HKT) May 14, 2019

2020 Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren speaks to local residents during an organizing event, Friday, May 3, 2019, in Ames, Iowa.(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

2020 Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren speaks to local residents during an organizing event, Friday, May 3, 2019, in Ames, Iowa.(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

(CNN)Sen. Elizabeth Warren announced Tuesday morning that she is rejecting an invitation from Fox News to participate in a town hall with the network, slamming the outlet as a "hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists."

In a series of tweets, the Massachusetts Democrat said that what she sees as Fox News' "hate-for-profit" model means that the network "balances a mix of bigotry, racism, and outright lies with enough legit journalism to make the claim to advertisers that it's a reputable news outlet. It's all about dragging in ad money -- big ad money."
Fox News has already hosted Democratic Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota at town hall events this year. The network has also announced upcoming events with other White House hopefuls, including South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.
Warren went on to say that a town hall featuring Democratic presidential candidates "gives the Fox News sales team a way to tell potential sponsors it's safe to buy ads on Fox -- no harm to their brand or reputation (spoiler: it's not)."
"I won't ask millions of Democratic primary voters to tune into an outlet that profits from racism and hate in order to see our candidates -- especially when Fox will make even more money adding our valuable audience to their ratings numbers," Warren added. She did specify that journalists from the network are welcome to continue covering any of her campaign events.
A spokesperson for Fox News did not immediately return a request for comment.
Asked whether this means Warren will boycott all Fox News appearances heading into the 2020 election, an aide to the senator told CNN that she currently has no plans to go on Fox's air.
"And we're not giving them 60 minutes of her time for an exclusive major TV event so they can market it to their advertisers," the aide said.
According to the aide, Warren last appeared on Fox News in the spring of last year. The senator's last few appearances on the network were alongside Senate colleagues to promote legislation, the aide said.

Posted - May 14, 2019

Responses

What we are left with is a 60% or better chance of the incumbent being re-elected.
      May 14, 2019 1:55 PM MDT

• I'd like to remind you that at one time Donald Trump was considered equally as unlikely to ascend to the presidency.  Then the primaries unfolded.  Surprise!  Then election night came down like a gauntlet.  Surprise surprise.  So...my unsolicited advice is, don't be so quickly dismissive of candidates coming up around the bend.  You may be in for a surprise.
      May 14, 2019 4:06 PM MDT

Your advice makes no difference. It doesn't matter what you, I, or anyone says on here. The election will happen and either Trump will be re-elected or he won't.
      May 14, 2019 10:01 PM MDT

I remember a time about 40 years ago that everything I had ever feared might happen to me in life had already happened.  It was nowhere as bad as I thought it could be.

Life is all about change---it's a law of our being.

You'll be fine.  Sounds like 3rd time will be the charm.
      May 14, 2019 5:26 PM MDT

• I think this reply was for me? I’m over my fear now and just excited for the change. I’m so faaaking ready for it now. I had no idea how complacent  I have become  over  past few year until I  accepted this offer today. My life is gonna get flipped on it’s head starting  next Tuesday, I  may fail miserably, but at least I’m giving it a shot :) 
      May 14, 2019 5:35 PM MDT

I think I was thinking out loud when I wrote the "40 year" comment.  I think you said above that you don't always like change---I'm pretty much that way too unless I've got nothing else going on and I'm ready for that change.

You're excited about it---that's great.

Have fun.
      May 14, 2019 5:53 PM MDT

no idea
      May 19, 2019 4:33 PM MDT