Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Please tell me. How do we UNDO this Alabama decision on abortion. HOW DO WE UNDO THIS?????

Please tell me. How do we UNDO this Alabama decision on abortion. HOW DO WE UNDO THIS?????

Posted - May 16, 2019

Responses

Don't move to Alabama. 

That's the beauty of being in the US, I guess. Different states, different laws. What mortifies me more is that we're still a red state. Could be us next. I mean, Trump did win the popular vote here. Not by much, but it was a win. 

But, for what it's worth, lawmakers there have said they know the law is unconstitutional and that it will be overturned. They're trying to whittle away at Roe vs Wade. And, the ACLU is going after it. So, it isn't going to stick.

"[W]e have so many problems that exist in the state of Alabama, from only 32% of the children in Alabama have access to pre-K [to being] one of the few states that did not expand access to healthcare. And we spend our time dealing with legislation that we know is going to be unconstitutional?" said Rep. Anthony Daniels (D-Huntsville), the state house minority leader, at a Tuesday afternoon press conference. "We wasted about $1.7 million before on similar pieces of legislation. You would think that we would learn from our mistakes, but we've chosen to go down the same road again."

The bill's sponsor, state Rep. Terri Collins (R-Decatur), acknowledged that a legal challenge is the point, saying that the bill is designed as "a vehicle to revisit the constitutionally flawed Roe v. Wade decision," according to WKRG in Montgomery, AL.
    https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/05/231584/abortion-alabama-house-total-abortion-ban-felony-hb-314
      May 16, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

I answered your question yesterday, mostly to think about the other aspect of it.  Communicating to your young daughter what it all means.  

I  really did not digest the whole implication of what is going on here.  I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS.  Forget your explaining this to an eleven-year-old.  Who can explain this to ANYONE???? This is horrifying.  I cannot believe this is happening here in AMERICA in 2019.    

Answer me this.  If Trump is killed and Pence is killed, do we get Nancy?   I can dream about it. 

I am getting the story piece-meal, a lot of it from you.  I am relieved that this is not going to stick.  (yet)  But, if this moron gets elected again?  I fear a lot more than abortion will stick.    Kids in cages will be a thing of the past.  We can just line up and shoot them at the border in 2021. 

And, those who do read my words, please don't come at me with TRUMP is not responsible for this action.  TRUMP is.  He is behind this 100 percent.  And worse.  Anything his right-wing, conservative Evangelical base wants, he wants.  They are his only source of blood that he needs to feed from.  FROM FOX NEWS TO RUSSIA.  With LOVE.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 16, 2019 10:33 AM MDT
      May 16, 2019 9:55 AM MDT

I caught a meme the other day that said something along the lines of "I hear immigrant children/ refugee children/ or some variant have heartbeats too..." Yeah. That's our world. And, the quote in my initial one from Daniels pointed out that less than a quarter of kids in Alabama have access to pre-k and that the state didn't expand healthcare. 

Current events in general are making me ill. Social change does not come about because laws that restrict people are put in place. It comes when people have their needs met and opportunity. 

In any case, yes. Pelosi would be in place after Pence. 
      May 16, 2019 10:10 AM MDT

The swamp Trump drained is now flooding into the states.  He drained nothing.  He is a menace.  
      May 16, 2019 11:40 AM MDT

It is going to go to court....most likely the Supreme Court. That is the purpose in passing the law. 
      May 16, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

And guess what the supreme fake court is stacked with?  
      May 16, 2019 11:40 AM MDT

That is the purpose of the law. 
      May 16, 2019 11:53 AM MDT

Well, then we have to go into the illegal machinations that took place seating those judges. Who has time?  I don't.  It gets complicated, does nit not?  Let's start with KAVANAUGH.  TRAVESTY
      May 16, 2019 11:55 AM MDT

• It's not going to be undone, and it's about to be federal.  This was a move just to get the issue back to the supreme court. 
      May 16, 2019 1:49 PM MDT

Oh don't we know.  We shall see what we shall see.  The Nation hates Trump.  No matter what your sheltered views tell your brain.  WE HATE HIM.  He is going down.  

That is it.  When that happens we will clean up the filth he has enacted.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 16, 2019 1:55 PM MDT
      May 16, 2019 1:53 PM MDT

• I hope they decide on saving lives.  Abortion is like America's dark ages. 
      May 16, 2019 1:55 PM MDT

You could care less about anything except being the mug silly heart.  
      May 16, 2019 1:57 PM MDT

• I'm sure caring about lives does make me mug and silly to you.
      May 16, 2019 2:58 PM MDT

• imagine having a highly developed human brain that is a product of millions of years of evolution and then using it to think this 
      May 16, 2019 2:09 PM MDT

• I don't believe in evolution.  Sell it to someone else.
      May 16, 2019 2:59 PM MDT

• it is time to ctrl alt del Alabama. it is clearly not working properly 
      May 16, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

People will just go elsewhere which makes things more difficult, but not impossible.
      May 16, 2019 2:15 PM MDT

• Which means it should become a federal crime to go elsewhere to have abortions performed.
      May 16, 2019 2:59 PM MDT

I no longer want any part of this discussion. BUH BYE!!
      May 16, 2019 3:16 PM MDT

• That'll learn you!
      May 16, 2019 3:20 PM MDT

i dont think its a bad idea to ban abortions
      May 19, 2019 2:57 PM MDT