Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What is your opinion on Employee of the Week/Month/Quarter/Year programs at your workplace? (If they exist.)

What is your opinion on Employee of the Week/Month/Quarter/Year programs at your workplace? (If they exist.)

~

Posted - May 23, 2019

Responses

UGH.

Unless there are RULES to qualify?  There is no reason to do this.  It is based on opinion of a few.

If you show up to work on time for a month, do your job and excel and take no days off, that is some recognition that may deserve an extra ten bucks for the month for gas.  It If you are rewarded for DOING the job you were hired for in the first place?  I think you should be doing that any way.   It could be fun if it were made to be a contest to see who can produce the most or something.

We have a policy at work where we are awarded extra money when we upgrade a service.  If someone wants a massage and I do extra services, I am paid more and the client pays more.  And the nice thing is that all services are recorded so the people who earn the most money are the ones who actually work the hardest.

I came in fifth in the spa this pay period.  I got about three hundred and fifty extra dollars this last two weeks.  That is my idea of gratitude not some PLAQUE on a wall with my picture.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 23, 2019 4:21 PM MDT
      May 23, 2019 10:15 AM MDT

I work at a law firm and we don't have that program here.
      May 23, 2019 10:42 AM MDT

I got my employee of the month

May 23, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

It's stupid. Unless I win. Then it's the best thing ever.
      May 23, 2019 11:00 AM MDT

LOL!
    ~
      May 23, 2019 2:28 PM MDT

I work at a hospital ... and our awards are always skewed towards the people who take care of patients.
    The patients never see the people in the background, handling all the things that support the people doing direct patient care.
    It's very frustrating when a nurse can smile at patients and win a "spirit of caring" award - while she's being a bitch to her coworkers out of the patients' sight.
      May 23, 2019 3:20 PM MDT

The love your correct use of the apostrophe.

~
      May 24, 2019 6:27 AM MDT

I think it helps self-encouragement.  I think it discourages team-players.
    It's the best I can do at the moment....
    I'm sure I'm not the best contributor to this site but I Do try when I have a second.  I'm not one for competition.  I am one who has a sense of humor and humanity.  Not in that order.
    Gotta go!  But be back, soon!
    :) :)
      May 23, 2019 4:19 PM MDT

Why can't all employees just do a great job every day whether they win any prize or not? That's my answer. Win a trophy for doing a good job? In my world, if you don't perform at the level needed, you get sent home or fired.

What happened to moxie and an ingrained sense of a strong work ethic with no accolades needed? Oh, I forgot, it is a dying generation.
      May 23, 2019 6:49 PM MDT

Makes a lot of sense.  I agree with you. 
      May 23, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

Thank you and your answer resonates with me on so many levels. We (ex) and I owned our own business. The salesmen were treated like kings and given so much freedom to be the sloths that they were. I could go deep into stories of the ungodly way they sold. But, I'm soon to be free for three whole days and I'm celebrating early. 
      May 23, 2019 7:45 PM MDT

Exactly!  You said it in better wordage!
    :) :)
      May 23, 2019 7:59 PM MDT

Only the sales staff where I work has that kind of incentive program.  The rest of us sludge along on our own incentives.  Which is fine with me. 
      May 23, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

Not a great way to encourage the best from teams in the workplace.
    Competition encourages rivalry, envy, jealousy, hatred and all the negative, slimy, stone-walling, white-anting, backhanded behaviours that go with it -
    creates destructive social relationships - is the death of co-operation.

This post was edited by inky at May 23, 2019 8:18 PM MDT
      May 23, 2019 7:47 PM MDT

What is white-anting?

~
      May 24, 2019 6:26 AM MDT