Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Are you depending on public tranports ?

Are you depending on public tranports ?

I do... I dont have a regular driving license yet... so meanwhile, im heavily depending on public transports such as buses and metro to get where i need...

I hope to get a car one day and my license to be able to drive.

Posted - May 23, 2019

Responses

Nope ... and I hope I never have to.  At least, in any metro area near me.  There is too much crime involved.
      May 23, 2019 1:47 PM MDT

You may have a distorted view, Walt. I live in NYC and take buses, subways, and commuter trains often. I haven't had a problem with crime on them since I was a child more than 45 years ago. Police are vigilant, especially since 9/11, and keep things quite safe.
      May 23, 2019 9:18 PM MDT

The increased crime along Portland (Oregon) light rail and public transport is well documented.
    One entire police department even threatened to quit if the city council allowed the light rail to expand to their city.
    The metro "police" are just for show - they technically have the power to arrest, but are not even issued batons.
    There have been multiple attacks on the system, where gangs attack a single victim ... and it is always dependent on an armed private citizen to end the attack.

As I said ... I hope to never have to use any public transport in a metro near me.
      May 24, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

Walt I just heard from a client of mine who lived there.  She explained that Portland is just like you say.  I was really bummed.  It is a hell-hole according to her.  
      May 25, 2019 11:39 AM MDT

Our public transportation system is a disaster. I would take almost two hour to get to my sister's house using it. I can dive there in about 12 minutes.
      May 23, 2019 2:04 PM MDT

I was when I was younger Franc, still with the traffic round my way I would probably get home faster on public transport, at least on the bus as they have their own lanes.  
      May 23, 2019 3:26 PM MDT

• OMG

If you saw where I lived, you would laugh as hard as I';m laughing. LOL
    New England (especially the rural out lying regions) have nothing at all. I wish there would be an expansion of passenger rail services. That would be very helpful and I would sure use them
      May 23, 2019 3:50 PM MDT

...perhaps only when my truck is in the shop.
    Or some such scene.
      May 23, 2019 4:30 PM MDT

Horrifying.
      May 23, 2019 9:40 PM MDT

I had a really bad experience on public transportation.  For that reason, I do drive my own car or a friends car whenever needed.   :(
    However, I wish I hadn't had that disastrous trauma.
    Where I live people, including myself, have love affairs with their personal cars.  They would rather drive an hour and a half to work and spend the money they make on gas and polluting the environment by driving themselves.  Let's not talk about paying for parking and wear and tear on their cars and bodies.
    I know this because Don is one of them and I don't oppose it.
    I would if I hadn't had such a bad experience.  :( This post was edited by Merlin at May 26, 2019 9:44 AM MDT
      May 23, 2019 9:09 PM MDT

driving is not always fit for everyone... you gotta show to the driving teacher that you're able to drive on your own and follow the road rules. Me i went to do my driving exam last year, and i failed it...

i simply need some practice. I want my license too but i know i cant have it like that... I must pay some practice with a teacher first before going for the exam. 

May 25, 2019 11:34 AM MDT

Hi franc and I agree.  I know many people, my sister being one of them, who would rather be chauffeured from point A to point B.  That person could be a taxi, Uber, Lyft, limo driver, her sister, friend, etc. It doesn't matter who it is as long as she isn't driving.
    The reason being,  she hit a deer one night. She has never gotten over it.   She still has her license and it was an accident, obviously; but, like for most of us, it really tore her up. 
    Her business keeps her traveling most of the time so she really doesn't Need to drive a lot anyway; but, still, it is very sad for both, her and the deer.  :(.
    Personally, I love to drive.  It is a contradiction to many of the things I don't like. For example, cars do things such as over-polluting the air, using fossil fuels, old cars are sometimes left as fun down and are eye-sores.  Overall, they are just not a good idea for the environment, any way you look at them.  Unfortunately,  they are one of my biggest weaknesses.  I love cars, car racing, and driving.  Humph!  
    Good luck next time you are able to take your test. :))  I have faith you will do GREAT! :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at May 25, 2019 6:58 PM MDT
      May 25, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

I live in NYC, where lots of folks don't own cars. Buses, subways, and commuter rail are facts of everyday life, as are Ubers and taxis. There's no quicker or safer way to get around.
      May 23, 2019 9:21 PM MDT

Oh you live in the mighty new york.... nice ! The city looks huge... i never went but might go there one day... my city isnt that far from new york and the US-Canada border.

thanks for your answer !
      May 25, 2019 11:31 AM MDT

No, because where I live just doesn't have public transportation.
      May 23, 2019 9:22 PM MDT

thats a fine answer. Not every place has public transports, thats why we rely on cars.
      May 25, 2019 11:28 AM MDT

I had a car for a year in 1976.  Then nothing for two decades.  I got another car when I was 40.  Before then, I took busses or hitch-hiked.  Or cabs.  

I will never go back to that life again.  Cars for me now.  
      May 25, 2019 11:36 AM MDT