Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you take it all in your stride, or do you let things/people rattle you easily?

Do you take it all in your stride, or do you let things/people rattle you easily?

We all vary in what we can tolerate, how often and how much.. What kind are you? Are you happy with that? how would you change? 

Posted - May 25, 2019

Responses

No one rattles me very easily.   I am not naïve in the slightest.  When I meet someone, I immediately start assessing them.  What are they like?  How will I think about them after this initial meeting, and am I being judgmental.  

When I dislike someone after the first meeting, I try to rearrange my behavior towards them and give them a lot of chances. I keep changing my behavior and if nothing works, I'm done with them.   I have their number and I don't look back.  I don't ever just dislike someone without giving them a lot of chances.  I know that being wrong about this is the most delightful thing I can experience.  I love being wrong about someone I thought I would not like and that would be impossible if I did not give people a lot of chances.  Just like, hopefully, they also give me in return.

I am still reeling from what I never anticipated and was totally thrown off balance about.  And that is the election of Donald Trump.  I have never been so surprised and shocked and sickened in my life.  Maybe, when I found out my dad was going to die of pancreatic cancer.  About the same feelings.  

But usually I don't expect a lot from people and am pleasantly surprised when I learn I have a nice gift when I'm wrong.  
      May 25, 2019 10:44 AM MDT

• I come from a really "mean" family and I had to have thick skin growing up or I wouldn't have survived. I can take quite a bit, but I can also dish it out pretty fiercely, at times. I try to keep that aspect of myself under control and have gotten better about it over time, but once and a while, I can unleash.

But yeah, there's little that's truly going to rattle me. Generally, I've got a pretty mellow disposition and tend to laugh at things that cause some people to come unglued. I'm pretty happy with that disposition. At least I believe it's better for my health, overall. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 25, 2019 12:52 PM MDT
      May 25, 2019 10:45 AM MDT

I also come from a mean family but when they got mean with my kids I turned my back on them. Eventually I felt a little bad that my boys didn't have relatives so I cut out pictures of rock stars from LP jackets -framed them and hung them on the 33 - 1/3 relatives wall. I also wrote things on the photos like - the on with Tom Petty wearing a pair of Groucho glasses - Uncle Tom being silly. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at May 25, 2019 12:53 PM MDT
      May 25, 2019 11:14 AM MDT

• That's awesome, lol. 
      May 25, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

When I am incredulous at the stupidity of something I just heard or read, it takes a few seconds to evaluate the source of the utterance---at which time I usually realize it is consistent with other things that I have heard from the same source.

So unless I do not know who is likely to show up, I am usually prepared for what I might hear.
      May 25, 2019 11:35 AM MDT