Active Now

Malizz
WelbyQuentin
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Finance » How much money was the largest ever lump-sum payment applied to a portion of the US national debt, and when was it? ~

How much money was the largest ever lump-sum payment applied to a portion of the US national debt, and when was it? ~

Factoid: the US national debt dates back to the year 1789.

Posted - May 25, 2019

Responses

You mean it was paid back ever?  To whom?  Who are we paying anyway?  I think we should pay ourselves and get the billionaires to shell out our money they stole with Trump's tax cuts.  For starters.  
      May 25, 2019 10:43 PM MDT

No, I do not mean that it was paid back ever; I'm referring to a payment having been made towards the debt, which is why I wrote "a portion of the national debt".  As for your (usual) blindly hatred-based reference to Trump, the US national debt has existed since 1789, a few years prior to Trump's presidency, and there have been millionaires and billionaires by the dozens since that date.  Please don't exclude 230 years of history when you finger-point about tax cuts; it's not a phenomenon restricted to Trump.  Tax cuts for rich people didn't begin on or after Jan 20, 2017.  Your beloved Dems Clinton and Obama also introduced tax cuts during their administrations, and I don't think any millionaires or billionaires starved then.

~
      May 25, 2019 10:51 PM MDT