Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Is it better to purchase a new dog now or after my dog dies?

Is it better to purchase a new dog now or after my dog dies?

We planned to get a second dog this summer and then learned months after we made the decision that my current dog is dying and only has a couple months. Is it better to wait until she passes or still go forward and bring another one home now?

Posted - June 1, 2019

Responses

• Caring for a terminal pet can be very emotionally draining and can involve a lot of time and effort as well depending upon the animals ailment and overall condition.  Bringing a new pet into the home, though very enjoyable, can also require a lot in the way of training and getting them acclimated to the new environment.  It seems to me that attempting both simultaneously would be a huge undertaking.  The only upside I see is that the happiness a new pet brings can help offset the pain of impending loss.  One thing I cant help but think of is how nice it might be to have pictures of the two together no matter how brief that shared time is.  It's a big decision and I just wouldn't know how to guide someone else through it.  It may sound cliche but that doesnt lesson its truth...follow your heart.  Do what feels right and everything else will fall in to place.
      June 1, 2019 1:47 AM MDT

I would say get it now.  That way your children will not feel like it is simply a replacement but a whole new friend.  I'm not really a pet person so I might be the only one with this choice.  I am sorry about your dog.  My daughter's little dog had to be put to sleep and she held him while he died.  It was hard but she would not take anything for the opportunity to love him while he died. 
      June 1, 2019 3:08 AM MDT

I got the dog I have now when my old dog was 12 and I knew he didn't have long to live. He died about a year later but before he did he taught the new dog ever thing he knew about tracking and security. The new dog did make it easier for me mentally when Sundance passed on. In your case it might be better to wait a couple months then get a new dog after. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at June 1, 2019 9:24 AM MDT
      June 1, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

My focus would be more on how the new dog will effect your current dog that is dying, whether it will cause unnecessary stress for your current dog. A new dog can interfere with the dynamics of the pack, and pester the sick dog who may just wish to rest. No poorly animal wants to be pulled about by a well dog.  I'd put all my efforts into making this time the best you can for your current dog.
      June 2, 2019 5:49 AM MDT

Wait a few months after it dies. Give yourself time to grieve. 
      June 2, 2019 8:38 PM MDT

I can wait until your dog dies if you like. I'm always looking for a good, logical reason to get my hands on a dog. Not entirely certain of the pros and cons in this case, but, en el nombre de Dios, any arbitrary anchorage when needs must.

This post was edited by Clueless Dude at July 16, 2019 8:08 AM MDT
      July 16, 2019 8:08 AM MDT