Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How long is a piece of string & what does it feel like when something seems to be taking ages & you don't know how long something will take?

How long is a piece of string & what does it feel like when something seems to be taking ages & you don't know how long something will take?

Working on my last essay, (of this course) and just reading through it, trying to get the word count down, (overshooting is always my problem!) And it's uncomfortable. Part, or more, of the discomfort is not knowing how long it will take and whether I actually will come in under the word count when I am finished. Mainly it's the time though... I thought it would take me a day or two - it's taken 5 days so far and I don't know when it will end.. 

What's the worse thing for you about not knowing how long something will take.. how does it feel?

Posted - June 1, 2019

Responses

Ah, "string theory"  A piece of string is always shorter than you want, but longer than you need.

Something will always takes exactly as long as it takes - and not a second more or less.  The more you focus on its culmination, the longer it will seem to take.
      June 1, 2019 1:32 PM MDT

You are exactly right! That's indeed, what happened. Now I look back and it seems silly of me, but I recall at the time I felt horrified at how long it was taking
      June 2, 2019 1:11 PM MDT