Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Do you give money to panhandlers?

Do you give money to panhandlers?

Posted - June 6, 2019

Responses

I did when I first came to Vancouver because I never seen panhandlers before and I thought it was kind of unique but I got tired of doing that so not anymore. I often donate to buskers because at least they are doing something to earn their coins.
      June 6, 2019 8:19 AM MDT

I do if they are near the homeless camps.  The ones who come out of nowhere in a parkig lot scare me.  All I do then, is get to my car quickly.  I don't want to get kidnapped or robbed. 
      June 6, 2019 8:37 AM MDT

This is going to sound awful but I size them up before handing out.
    Don just goes to the nearest McDs and will buy them a couple burgers.  He knows if I catch him buying a Big Mac for himself, he's in serious trouble.  It gives him an excuse to go. Grrrr.  He thinks he's being sneaky.  I'm on to him. ;)
    For some, if I am going into the store, I will buy extra of what I am already buying and make them a bag full of groceries they can eat and share with their friends.
    If they have a dog, I am as weak as they come.  I buy dogfood and food for them and water.
    One guy, in Boulder, used to sit in front of Liquor Mart.  Just because he was so honest, I gave him 5 bucks and a pint of whiskey and a bottle of water.  The 5 bucks so he could have a little pride.  I never asked what he spent it on the following day but giving him a little booze and some spending money gave him an option to use it on something other than just booze. This post was edited by Merlin at June 6, 2019 10:36 AM MDT
      June 6, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

• No, I don't. Not because I'm opposed to giving money to them, but I'm not all that comfortable being out in public alone and so I avoid as many situations that could make me more uncomfortable as possible. 
      June 6, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

Not as a general rule.  There is a string quartet that plays some days in Grand Central Station and I will give to them because they look to be college age and they are extremely good.  
      June 6, 2019 9:00 AM MDT

Yes.  I believe in Karma.
      June 6, 2019 9:26 AM MDT

You can give someone money for weed and they will have weed for a day but if teach a person to grow weed they will have weed for the rest of their life. Anyway yes I give money to panhandlers and if I see that they have a dog with them I will go to the store and buy a pack of hotdogs then go give the panhandler a couple of bucks and the hotdogs for their dog. Cheers!
      June 6, 2019 9:42 AM MDT

Very Cool! :) :)
      June 6, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

No.
    I rarely carry cash ... and if they have a way to take credit cards, they don't need my money.  
      June 6, 2019 10:22 AM MDT

Why? Do you need some?
      June 6, 2019 10:37 AM MDT

I almost never have change on me, so i cant. but i wouldnt mind giving 2-3$ if i had the change to someone who panhandle , as long as its not for drugs... 

we often see the same faces at the metro station , and some look honest. 

You see it when its for drugs or not. Some regular faces are often there and they never look high. they look calm and gentle.
      June 6, 2019 12:52 PM MDT

No
      June 6, 2019 3:44 PM MDT

On occasion.  Not often.  But I panhandled myself when I was young. 
      June 6, 2019 8:51 PM MDT