Discussion » Questions » Communication » You are stuck with ignorant, rude demanding Japanese businessmen. What would be a good business card to present them by way of introduction?

You are stuck with ignorant, rude demanding Japanese businessmen. What would be a good business card to present them by way of introduction?

Posted - June 8, 2019

Responses

He is not Japanese.  It is not part of their culture to be rude and demanding. 
      June 8, 2019 12:34 PM MDT

This post was edited by inky at June 9, 2019 12:32 PM MDT
      June 8, 2019 2:29 PM MDT

Well, I am NOT picking on that culture. No, sireee, bob.  I am not.  We have a lot to learn from them, truly.  We DO.  BUT?  This is a different breed of men who are not really all that strict in the kindliness aspect and all about the ADRENELINE TESTOSTERONE-FUELED kill the opponent and make the most money types.

That is what we are dealing with in this conversation, not the wonderful REST of the culture.  Thank you for pointing it out too.  Japanese people are mostly amazing and wonderful.  
      June 9, 2019 12:27 PM MDT

Japanese people "lose face" if they lose self-control to the point of being rude, meaning to the point of expressing any kind negative emotion. Not even a hint like the tightening of lips or a misplaced blink is permitted in Japanese culture. It's ingrained from childhood. They see Westerners, "gaijin" (pejorative word meaning outsider or alien,) as unpardonably rude. Japanese prefer to shun Westerners except in unavoidable necessity, such as in trade and politics. (There are rare exceptions and they are the ones who reject their own culture and emigrate to the West.)

For a Japanese person to lose face is unbearable. Intolerable. They fear it at all costs. They would commit suicide rather than be witnessed showing negativity.
    Knowing this, if a Japanese businessman actually did behave rudely, one would have to ask why.
    What happened that was so terrible that it forced him to become uncontrollably angry?
    And if it's more than one businessman, what is happening regularly?
    Are they expecting something and that expectation isn't being met?
    Has there been a misunderstanding?

If you doubt any of this, please ring the nearest Japanese consulate and ask. It is their job to explain cultural differences to help smooth the path to trade.

For instance, in Japan, Japanese businessmen frequently visit masseurs and places of entertainment with the expectation of sex - a modern take on the ancient tradition of geisha houses, because these services are the prelude, the appetisers.
    If they are not familiar with the west, they may not know that sex is not on the menu at massage parlours or entertainment venues unless specifically advertised.

So if, for instance, you are running a massage business, then your card for Japanese businessmen must say, "strictly remedial massage only, no sex or sexual pleasuring under any circumstances. Attempted breaches will be reported to the police. " To be extra sure, have it printed in Japanese. That should stop these types coming to this type of business with false hopes.

However, all this goes out the window when drunk.
    When Japanese businessmen go to geisha houses (or modern equivalents), drinking a lot together is usually part of the relaxation. 
    This is their traditional way of giving themselves permission to let go of their inhibitions (which can lead to all kinds of bad behaviours, including crimes].

This post was edited by inky at June 9, 2019 6:36 PM MDT
      June 8, 2019 2:44 PM MDT

I am just starting to read this and I wanted you to know that just what you started with, compels me to read further.  Thanks.... I am reading this.

OKay.  I read it and it is totally fantastic.  Thank you.  There is nothing to question about it. I know you know what you are talking about.  

Anyway, I would like your permission to be able to cut and paste your excellent reply and give it to Jaimie who is currently dealing with Japanese businessmen who are making her feel terrible.  It probably is because she is unaware that she is bugging them.  LOL 

May I please?  I will definitely give you the credit for the answer, of course.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 9, 2019 6:34 PM MDT
      June 9, 2019 12:28 PM MDT

You're welcome to send it to Jaimie.
    Thanks for the pick, Sharon! :)
      June 9, 2019 6:35 PM MDT

Thanks, I know she will be fine either way, but I would like to know this stuff if it were me and I  did not know.

June 10, 2019 12:00 AM MDT

Maybe some type of confusing business card to break the ice and make them start asking questions. Like I could give them a grounds keeping card that says - I plant 2 lips - I mean tulips. Cheers!
      June 9, 2019 12:53 PM MDT

Yes, Nan, great minds think alike!  Cheers!
      June 10, 2019 12:01 AM MDT