Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What are some unexpected (read: negative) consequences of having your vehicle repainted?

What are some unexpected (read: negative) consequences of having your vehicle repainted?

~

Posted - June 12, 2019

Responses

It may be difficult to find in a parking lot.
      June 12, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

I'm not sure,but a good rub down is nothing to be sneezed at....:)D 
      June 12, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

You decide you don't like the color.
    The color on the vehicle doesn't match the sample.

It's more expensive than a vinyl wrap.
      June 12, 2019 8:39 AM MDT

A real quality paint job starts at around $5,000.  I had this conversation with the best company I could find.  In person, not on the phone.   That was the starting point of the quote for my car (that I no longer have).  If you drive an SUV and want the rubber around the stationary way-back windows replaced (which I did), you MAY have to replace those windows because the rubber is part of the assembly and not separate from the window itself.  These people used no tape either.  Things were taken apart for old paint removal, ding/dent removal, painting, top coat, etc.  During this, if any rust is found that must be remedied before the vehicle body work is continued.  That might require the car being moved somewhere else.  Also, if you have black plastic between the front and back windows on each side, this company I talked to will not touch them.  They said there is no way that paint will last on them and they just will not do it.  Same for black plastic moulding around the tire wells and the bumpers.  They won't even touch them.  My neighbor had a nine year old Cadillac painted and paid $1200 at a different shop.  It looked great for about a year.  About that time the transmission messed up so he just sold it.  I can remember years ago advertising for car painting for $99.  I wonder what kind of job that was.  I have never had a car painted. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 11, 2019 2:09 PM MDT
      June 12, 2019 3:13 PM MDT

The first car I had repainted ... I had it done by the local community college auto repair shop for just a little over half of what the local shops would cost.  Of course, there's no warranty that way.  And you have to be prepared for a less-than-perfect job, since they ARE students.  But that was fine with me, at the time.
      June 12, 2019 3:21 PM MDT

That was 'Earl Sheib's' I had one painted there and they did a pretty good job. We knew we were only going to keep the car for a couple of more years.
      July 11, 2019 2:11 PM MDT

It is repaired that itself is an unexpected consequence!
      July 11, 2019 1:37 PM MDT