Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Do you know any obscure sandwich-related trivia?

Do you know any obscure sandwich-related trivia?

(I’ll start.)

United States Department of Agriculture literature says that the official definition of a sandwich is: “at least 35 percent cooked meat and no more than 50 percent bread”.
~

Posted - June 13, 2019

Responses

No wonder why Randy won't eat my sandwiches!  I've been making them wrong!

"no more than 50 percent bread"

Is that measured by mass or volume?  Hmmm.

I've got a 50/50 chance so I'll go with no more than 50 percent bread by mass.

June 13, 2019 7:32 AM MDT

Liv, 
    Take a kitchen scissor and cut around the meat and the bread, so the meat ends with the bread.  Make a little "bun" for it.  LOL 

You now have a gourmet sandwich and can charge him three times as much even though there is a much smaller portion.  That is how it is done these days.  He is paying, in effect, for all that stuff you are throwing out, so he can have a cute sandie.  Oh, and lose that butter.  Butter and meat?  Nah.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 13, 2019 11:25 PM MDT
      June 13, 2019 11:57 AM MDT

$214 is the priciest sandwich in the world.
    The Quintessential Grilled Cheese at Serendipity in New York features bread made with Dom Pérignon champagne, gold flakes, and buttered with truffle butter.
      June 13, 2019 8:36 AM MDT

No it's not.  How much is it?

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 13, 2019 12:12 PM MDT
      June 13, 2019 10:56 AM MDT

It was at the time of the trivia article I found.  But the article didn't have a date, so I don't know how old it is.
      June 13, 2019 11:53 AM MDT

YES.  I KNOW. I JUST WANTED TO POST MINE.  LOL
      June 13, 2019 11:54 AM MDT

Earl of Sandwich

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
    For the restaurant, see Earl of Sandwich (restaurant). For the First Lord of the Admiralty (and eponymous inventor of the sandwich), see John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich.
    Earldom of Sandwich Coronet of a British Earl.svg
    Earl of Sandwich COA.svg
    Quarterly, first and fourth, Argent, three lozenges conjoined in fess Gules, within a border Sable; for Montagu. Second and third, Or, an eagle displayed Vert, beaked and membered Gules; for Monthermer.
    Creation date 12 July 1660 Monarch Charles II Peerage Peerage of England First holder Sir Edward Montagu Present holder John Montagu, 11th Earl Heir apparent Luke Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke Subsidiary titles Viscount Hinchingbrooke
    Baron Montagu of St Neots Seat(s) Mapperton House, Dorset Former seat(s) Hinchingbrooke House, Cambridgeshire Motto Post tot naufragia portum ("After so many shipwrecks a haven")[1]

Heraldic achievement of the Earls of Sandwich

Earl of Sandwich is a noble title in the Peerage of England, held since its creation by the House of Montagu. It is nominally associated with Sandwich, Kent. It was created in 1660 for the prominent naval commander Admiral Sir Edward Montagu. He was made Baron Montagu, of St Neots in the County of Huntingdon, and Viscount Hinchingbrooke, at the same time, also in the Peerage of England. The viscountcy is used as the courtesy title by the heir apparent to the earldom. A member of the prominent Montagu family, Lord Sandwich was the son of Sir Sidney Montagu, youngest brother of Henry Montagu, 1st Earl of Manchester (from whom the Dukes of Manchester descend), and Edward Montagu, 1st Baron Montagu of Boughton (from whom the Dukes of Montagu descended).

He was succeeded by his son, the second Earl. He briefly represented Dover in the House of Commons and served as Ambassador to Portugal and as Lord Lieutenant of Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire.

The second Earl's great-grandson was The 4th Earl of Sandwich, who was a prominent statesman and served as First Lord of the Admiralty and as Secretary of State for the Northern Department. Lord Sandwich is also remembered for sponsoring the voyages of discovery made by Captain James Cook, R.N., who named the Sandwich Islands in his honour, and as the namesake of the sandwich.

He was succeeded by his son, the fifth Earl. He sat as Member of Parliament for Brackley and Huntingdonshire and served as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household and as Master of the Buckhounds. His son, the sixth Earl, also represented Huntingdonshire in Parliament.

He was succeeded by his son, the seventh Earl. He held office in the first two Conservative administrations of the Earl of Derby as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms and Master of the Buckhounds and was also Lord Lieutenant of Huntingdonshire. His eldest son, the eighth Earl, represented Huntingdon in the House of Commons as a Conservative and served as Lord Lieutenant of Huntingdonshire.

He was succeeded by his nephew, the ninth Earl. He was the son of Rear-Admiral the Hon. Victor Alexander Montagu, second son of the seventh Earl. Lord Sandwich was Member of Parliament for Huntingdon and Lord Lieutenant of Huntingdonshire.

His son, the tenth Earl, represented South Dorset in Parliament as a Conservative from 1941 to 1962, when he succeeded his father in the earldom and had to resign his seat in the House of Commons and enter the House of Lords. He disclaimed his peerages in 1964 but never returned to the House of Commons.

As of 2017, the titles are held by his eldest son, the eleventh Earl, who succeeded in 1995. Lord Sandwich is one of the ninety elected hereditary peers that remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999, and sits as a cross-bencher.

The family seat is today at Mapperton in Dorset.[2] From the 17th century until the 1960s, the family also owned Hinchingbrooke House in Huntingdonshire, from which the title Viscount Hinchingbrooke was derived.

Some historical papers of the family and its Hinchingbrooke estate are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Huntingdon.

June 13, 2019 11:00 AM MDT

Wait...PB&J isn't a sandwich unless I add meat?
      June 13, 2019 12:14 PM MDT

Well, we have DEVOLVED.  We are only allowed to eat what Trump eats.  No pbj any more.  JUST RED MEAT (or whatever passes for it at the McDonald's)
      June 13, 2019 12:15 PM MDT

I noticed he pushed that crap on a football team.
      June 13, 2019 12:24 PM MDT