Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Why do teens get pregnant ?

Why do teens get pregnant ?

My step mom was watching 16 And Pregnant I don't get why so many young girls like this show. She was also 16 when she got pregnant with her son she had him at 17. Her and my dad were already married she lived with her uncle he's dad's my best friend but he wasn't happy when she got pregnant he was kind of mad at him. I don't see what the point of this show is. I can see why lots of girls like this they think because they get pregnant they probably think they're gonna get on tv that's what I think. It's a waist of space on tv and a waist of time. Lots of my step mom's friends also had babies when they were in high school now 8 or 5 years later half these women aren't married or the kids don't see they're dad's anymore. I also think they have kids so they can stay with they're boyfriends sometimes it works some it doesn't. One girl at my step mom's school got pregnant at 13 had her daughter at 14. Now this year her daughter will be 10 the same age as my little brother. Also I'm friends with a lot of my mom's friends on Facebook I noticed that a lot who had kids as teenagers have had 2 or 3 other kods by 3 or 4 different dads. Im glad she and my dad never had that problem. Lots of those 16 And Pregnant and Teen Mom kids now know why they're on tv. I watched an episode with her the other night one of the girls who had the twins she said " do you guys know why you have to behave and be good in school " one of her daughters said " so we don't end up like you " now that they're older I think they know why they have to work on tv instead of having a normal life. She was watching an episode of 16 And Pregnant where a girl had twins she and her boyfriend were arguing in the car then he kicked her out of the car drove off with her twins. I think this shiw was suppose to decrease teen pregnancy but it seems like it's increasing it. They even say after why the commercials that there are way to prevent teen pregnancy but i guess that doesnt help. Why do so many teens get pregnant ?

Posted - June 26, 2019

Responses

• same reason anyone gets pregnant, they done got nutted in 
      June 26, 2019 9:33 AM MDT

• its def the  guys fault tho. he should just hold it in or pull out. have some self control you know what im saying. 
      June 26, 2019 9:43 AM MDT

They think they have all the answers and don't know what they are doing.

They have no adult guides or supervisions that makes them want to have a bright future.

They think they are in love and that will conquer all.

They don't THINK at all.

Life is more than a few contractions of your crotch muscles.
      June 26, 2019 9:37 AM MDT

There are a billion reasons. The biggest components tend to be lack of parental involvement and, statistically speaking, abstinence-only sex ed programs or lack of sex ed programs. 

Actually, sex ed programs are pretty ridiculous in some places. The feds fund certain types of programs, but the states set their own guidelines and individual districts/ schools set additional guidelines. In some places, there aren't even requirements that the course cover medically-accurate information or even discuss birth control. 

The whole thing is very outdated, built on a model which assumes that, if we tell teens not to have sex, they won't. Well, duh. That doesn't work. What does work is teaching them medically-accurate info about how their bodies work and giving them the information they need to make smarter decisions. However, in many areas, parents get into an uproar over their kids learning about contraception, and so programs only go into action if they're based around abstinence and don't cover safe sex.

Dr. Drew Pinsky was behind the TV show Teen Mom. He did a really popular radio show before that. I think his intentions were mostly pure. At least back then. He really was all about education and teaching people why they did the things they did and how to overcome their challenges. Something shifted when he moved away from the radio show. He still seemed to want to help, but he also got more into the entertainment value of things. There were times he acted in a way that really was not clinically appropriate... it's hard to explain, but some of what he did, especially when we look at how he handled Brittney Spears, is indicative of that. He built up interest in himself by talking about her mental health. He sensationalized it further. He shouldn't have been discussing her, especially because she met with him in a professional capacity. That was very hard to see. It seeps into a bit of Teen Mom too. He may well have started the project hoping to shed light on the hardships teem moms endure, but it really became all about entertainment. Love Line (the radio show) stood for itself, I think. It wasn't about capitalizing on the hardships of others, but about helping the people who called and teaching the audience. At least, that's what I remember of it in the pre-Teen Mom days. Dr. Drew didn't address Teen Mom and future projects through the same lens. Later projects didn't honor the people involved to the same degree. Ergo, it is my personal opinion that the Teen Mom you might watch today is not the same show that launched. I don't want to knock Dr. Drew too much because I think his earliest works did a lot of good for many people, but he took his stardom and career in a direction I don't agree with. 
      June 26, 2019 1:28 PM MDT

You asked this same question last week.
      June 26, 2019 3:03 PM MDT

I'm curious as to why you are asking the same question again - in exactly the same wording.

We Muggers responded with a wide range of answers, all of which were correct because there are many reasons why teenagers fall pregnant.

If our answers could not satisfy your need, what is it that you really want to know?

June 26, 2019 3:52 PM MDT

• When I was a teen I was very sexually active and I never got pregnant. 
    And believe it wasn't from lack of total commitment to what I was doing.

June 26, 2019 4:07 PM MDT