Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What have you learned exclusively from the internet, that you most likely would have never learned in real life?

What have you learned exclusively from the internet, that you most likely would have never learned in real life?

Posted - June 26, 2019

Responses

The first thing to come to my mind - -

That I LOVE "Polite Dance Song" by The Bird and The Bee.

And I've come to love their music.

This was the first song I heard by them, suggested by someone on this internet site. i would not have known of this group, most likely.

I love the music video, too.

The understated humor here, both aurally and visually, are great for me. (If you watch, I love the little moment when the keyboardist quietly pushes away her guitar. Ha! And he's cute, too!)

Great song! Great lyrics, too!

"Polite Dance Song"  The Bird and The Bee

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 27, 2019 1:26 AM MDT
      June 26, 2019 5:58 PM MDT

• Dude!  How have I never heard this?  OMG!  I frickin' love it.  Instant add to playlist.  This is fabulous.
      June 26, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSS!!!

My reaction was exactly the same as yours, the first time I listened and watched!
    :)

I'm happy to know you like it a lot, too!
      June 26, 2019 6:13 PM MDT

• Welby,
    you're that person who can always be counted on
    to bring the awesomest tunes when going on a road trip. 
    Tops down.
    Volume up.
    Let's hit the highway and floor it.
      June 26, 2019 6:31 PM MDT

We're on it!
      June 26, 2019 6:47 PM MDT

THANKS for a Pick, Twinkle Dink!!

You're so kind in so many ways!

And I'm really glad talking together again!
    You're great.
      July 1, 2019 1:06 PM MDT

I never knew there were so many whiny grown-up people.
      June 26, 2019 6:01 PM MDT

• They are great in number.  One can almost hear their collective crying.
      June 26, 2019 6:12 PM MDT

The decay chains of the radioactive elements and the mass defect occurring at each step of the chains.
      June 26, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

• That hurts my head.  Why you be talkin' like that?

June 26, 2019 6:21 PM MDT

Hey...you asked the question...I merely answered it.

June 26, 2019 7:24 PM MDT

I learned that in the State of Florida, even Sex Offenders are awesome

June 26, 2019 6:13 PM MDT

I am extremely gullible. I bought it -- and a part of me still thinks it may be real.
    But I assume this can't be taken at face value but I love it!
    I bought the premise and the cast here and music and directing - - all of it - - I'm with them all the way!
      June 26, 2019 6:25 PM MDT

Oh Welby Welby Welby...LoL Have I got a tale to tell to you. TBH, I doubted the legimicay of this video myself. I thought, "Can this be?", then one word kept nagging at me... "FLORIDA". 
    I went a digging and I found that the truth is actually more hysterical than the video. To that end, I am posting the entire leter I found from a participants family member with the link.  I hope you find this as entertaining as I did.  LOL

"I think I can shed some light on this subject. My name is Todd Hughes- my aunt Laura appeared in the video you're referring to, though against her will. It's been a difficult subject for my family, but I'd love to help clear up some misconceptions.
    In the late 80s, Miami's Sexual Predator unit began cracking down harder than ever on sexual misconduct. While sex offenders had long been forced to go door-to-door, a new policy was proposed: sending videotapes to Miami neighborhoods. This would give residents a convenient reference of local sex offenders' faces and voices. Over time, the idea morphed into a cruel mockery of the accused parties. In early videos, convicted sex offenders were forced into demeaning costumes and humiliating hats. Eventually, Officer Raymond H. Karr hatched the idea of writing degrading hip-hop raps for the accused to perform.
    Between 1986 and 1988, dozens of "Sex Offender Shuffle" videos were created. Sex offenders who had already served their sentence were forced to rap and dance, often at gunpoint. My aunt Laura was forced to participate, in order to be eligible for home ownership in North Bay Village. She was handed a crude rap implying that she "touched her cousin", though the actual circumstances were far more complicated. While a blood test proved that one of her volleyball students was a relative, their relationship was completely consensual. Regardless of the circumstances, NO ONE should be forced to rap against their will. Eventually, the ACLU stepped in. They helped SOS participant Marc Burmholdt sue Officer Karr, who promptly fled the country. In June 1988, Miami police chief Clarence Dickson was forced to resign, though it was presented as voluntary and unrelated to the SOS scandal.
    For years, our family thought they had buried this terrible chapter. But in 2009, the footage from my aunt's "shuffle" was posted to Youtube and presented as viral found footage, making a sad mockery of my aunt yet again. Thankfully, there was a silver lining. While organizing a (sadly-unsuccessful) class-action suit against Youtube, she reconnected one of the other SOS participants, Samuel Pound. Today they are married, and together they own and operate a sand store outside Los Angeles.
    I hope this was relatively interesting. I'm just tired of people believing the video was some kind of comedy spoof. I want the world to know the Laura Hughes-Pound I know- a warm, loving, tender, incredibly affectionate aunt."

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1sbs19/ama_request_cast_member_from_the_sex_offender/
    This post was edited by Jon at June 26, 2019 7:05 PM MDT
      June 26, 2019 6:38 PM MDT

I will be back to read all of this. But I'm really zonked at the moment and ready to fall asleep it seems. oh, my -- this can't be real. but i will be back to read!

I just read a bit of it though - - oh, wow -- this is just too weird. 
    Thanks for adding all of this. It just keeps getting weirder! Then there seems to be a ring of truth type of feeling to it all now. Wow.
    But, if these are real sex offenders, then I all I can say is that more sex offenders should have their own shows - - because this crew is WAY more entertaining than much of  what I see currently.
      June 26, 2019 6:46 PM MDT

My honey bunny has a more favorible opinion of Florida than I. LOL

What the world needs now is more sex offenders! This post was edited by Jon at July 1, 2019 1:08 PM MDT
      June 26, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

•   June 26, 2019 7:09 PM MDT

Hah! And Mississipi & Georgia are the testicles...big, hairy,dirty, sweaty donkey balls This post was edited by Jon at July 1, 2019 1:08 PM MDT
      June 26, 2019 7:11 PM MDT

• So this person thinks the silver lining is two sex offenders were able to meet and marry each other?  WTF?
      June 27, 2019 5:31 AM MDT

If you do the crime, and do the time...

Why should sex offenders be denied the right to be miserable like everyone else?
      June 27, 2019 7:05 AM MDT

Here I am again - - hey, I've seen "Funny Games" - - and I let this whole thing bug me, too? Ha!
    That's what those two Tennis Whites young guys could have done in "Funny Games" - -  break out into a song-and-dance routine.

I've got to go to work now -- I'll maybe stop in later again and read more closely all of this.
    Thanks, Jon.
      July 1, 2019 1:11 PM MDT

• One more reason to be frightened by Sex Offenders...
      June 26, 2019 6:26 PM MDT

It made me quite like them!
    ;)
      June 26, 2019 6:27 PM MDT

• LOL!  I felt touched inappropriately.
      June 26, 2019 6:32 PM MDT