Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Are the Democratic candidates that pulled out their "Spanish" last night actually HISPANDERING? I think they are. It's silly.

Are the Democratic candidates that pulled out their "Spanish" last night actually HISPANDERING? I think they are. It's silly.

Posted - June 27, 2019

Responses

I gather that "Hispandering" means pandering to Hispanic Americans.

The wording raises some serious ethical questions.

To pander means to indulge, gratify, satisfy, cater to, yield to, bow to, humour, please or accommodate.

In a democracy, I would hope that all citizens would have equal rights.
    As I understand it, the USA has mistreated a high proportion of its Hispanics for many decades.

An example is the colonias permitted to exist near the US-Mexico border. I feel certain that a first nation country could afford to heal the multitudes of civic problems caused by the behavioural sink of poverty and over-high population density. And I don't mean by deporting illegals. Italy and Malta have managed their refugee crisis with magnificent compassion by embracing and integrating asylum seekers - providing work, housing, language lessons and access to social services.

I think the issues of Hispanics are on a par with the way Black Americans are often treated. Systemic racism is a serious and dangerous social disease.

from Wiki - Colonia (United States)
    "In the United States, colonias are low-income, unincorporated, slum-areas, located along the Mexico–United States border region that began to emerge with the advent of informal housing.[1] Colonias consist of peri-urban subdivisions of substandard housing lacking in basic services such as potable water, electricity, paved roads, proper drainage, and waste management.[1][2] Often situated in geographically inferior locations, such as former agricultural floodplains, colonias suffer from associated issues like flooding.[3] Furthermore, urbanization practices have amplified the issues, such as when developers strip topsoil from the ground in order to subdivide land, the resulting plains become breeding grounds for mosquitoes and disease. Traditional homeownership financing methods are rare amongst colonias residents, and therefore these areas consist of ramshackle housing units built incrementally with found material on expanses of undeveloped land.[4] Colonias have a predominant Latino population where 85 per cent of those Latinos under the age of 18 are United States citizens.[3] The U.S. has viewed border communities as a place of lawlessness, poverty, backwardness, and ethnic difference"

Outside the colonias there are numerous other problems of discrimination.
    A democratic country that does not deal with such problems is courting trouble.

If the Democrats are not sincere in their approach to Hispanic issues their campaign will backfire on them.

I would hope the Dems will try their best to better meet Hispanic needs, and that they are not merely humouring.

There are good questions for journalists to ask the candidates to help hold them to account.
      June 27, 2019 3:39 PM MDT