Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you ever been to a podiatrist? I have an appointment tomorrow for a swollen foot. How was your experience?

Have you ever been to a podiatrist? I have an appointment tomorrow for a swollen foot. How was your experience?

Posted - July 1, 2019

Responses

• OMG! 
    I have been before and it was hysterical. 
    He told dirty jokes the whole time I was there. 
    I kid you not.
    That man is a mess.
      July 1, 2019 4:04 PM MDT

I went to one for a pain in my foot.  Turned out, I had broken a small bone just under the pinky toe and I had to wear a cast for 6 weeks.
      July 1, 2019 4:27 PM MDT

One tiny bone? Six weeks?
      July 1, 2019 5:52 PM MDT

Six weeks for a broken bone is normal healing time.
      July 1, 2019 6:27 PM MDT

Yes.  Being at the point where the toes bend when you walk, it had to be immobilized completely until the bones meshed otherwise it would have broken again or mended improperly.
      July 1, 2019 9:03 PM MDT

I have a permanently damaged toenail due to an accident when I was fourteen.
    It's so thick that I can't cut it.
    I lucked on an excellent podiatrist. She used a Dremel to file down and shape the nail. There was no pain.

But I think there might be some conditions where it's hard to avoid pain - might need a local anaesthetic. 

A swollen foot might need a doctor to help with oedema or an infection.
      July 1, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

No infection...that would be obvious. I'll find out tomorrow. (I hope.)
      July 1, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

It could be Septic Bursitis  - a blood infection usally caused by an injury. Its a pretty easy fix with anti bionics so no worries. Cheers!
      July 1, 2019 8:16 PM MDT

I think if it were sepsis, It would have spread and I would have a fever. I'll find out.
      July 1, 2019 8:19 PM MDT

Ya a fever is defiantly a symptom guess it is better to just wait and see  what a real doctor says. Cheers!
      July 1, 2019 8:24 PM MDT

Yes.  In my experience those guys are great.  One has worked miracles with my mother's feet. 

My podiatrist once prescribed Celebrex to me for tendonitis in my feet.  I almost died.  I tell everyone every chance I get to not take that medication. 
      July 1, 2019 11:07 PM MDT

I used to get tendinitis in my foot. I have since learned, that at the first sign, I do calf stretches and calf massages. It hasn't been a problem for years. 
      July 2, 2019 6:27 AM MDT

I got a cortisone shot in my foot and months of pain was cured and never returned.
      July 2, 2019 6:25 AM MDT

Those shots hurt.  I kicked the doctor the first time. I had to go every so often for a while.  I don't remember how many time but it was way too many.  After that he had someone holding both of my legs.  But I got well.  I only have a problem if I go barefoot for a long time on a hard floor.  If I feel it happening I just go put on a pair of Birkenstocks.  It's been a long time since I was bothered by it.  Thank goodness!

July 3, 2019 1:16 AM MDT

I should have gone to one but I didn't.
    I was at a horse show and my horse stepped on my right foot.
    It was a real drag because I think it broke my big toe. I withdrew from the show.  I couldn't get into my boot.
    I was about 14 years old.  My Grammie and I were there but my trainer said they wouldn't be able to do anything at the doctor and the best thing to do was to tape it to my other toe.
    Now my right big toe turns into my other. I think it stopped growing at that point. 
    The whole scenario was a huge pain in the toe.
      July 2, 2019 4:05 PM MDT

Well, I had a wart removed from my big toe.  No big whoop.
      July 3, 2019 1:39 AM MDT