Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What is your favorite death scene featured in a horror movie? The one that sticks with you. The one that keeps you up at night.

What is your favorite death scene featured in a horror movie? The one that sticks with you. The one that keeps you up at night.

Posted - July 9, 2019

Responses

I have no wish to look at films that's sole purpose is to horrify :( 
      July 9, 2019 3:21 PM MDT

• I know.  I can barely take them either.  I have friends that love to watch movies of the suspense/horror/thriller genre.  Its just not for me.  I admit, I have seen a number of them, especially a few that have become cinematic classics, and many of them still have scenes that haunt me.  So, for the most part I avoid them.  Call me simple, but I prefer sweet, happy, sentiment on celluloid. 
      July 9, 2019 3:31 PM MDT

I watch to world news if I want to be horrified with what humans are capable of doing to each other...
    I/we watch things that make us think  or happy   :)

July 9, 2019 3:49 PM MDT

I've seen so many films and enjoy all different genres. The thing is that I do not believe that a particular unsettling death scene in a film has to be in the genre of 'horror' . For example, 'Schindler's List' and 'Sophie's Choice' are not horror films per se' but the death scenes and subject matter are purely horrifying.

If I am bound to stay strictly within the Horror genre, I say the movie 'Martyrs' directed by Pascal Laugier and the death of the character 'Lucie' played by Mylene Jampanoi that really hit me like a sucker punch in the gut. After suffering many years of captivity and torture by a group of people, Lucie escapes grows up and engages in revenge only to be recaptured and subject to a brutal torture and prolonged death scene which includes being skinned alive so her captors can query her as to what she experiences as she stares into the face of death and God. The death scene is one that sticks with you more so because it is visceraly emotional and has a warped sense of spitirualism that is both horrifying and beautiful.

Martyrs is a movie that is truly a masterpiece in every sense of the word, but it is not for everyone. This was unlike any film I have ever seen and experienced

This post was edited by Jon at August 31, 2019 7:25 PM MDT
      July 9, 2019 11:27 PM MDT

Great answer, all around.

I've not seen "Martyrs," so I stopped reading once you mentioned the title.
    :)
      August 31, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

I don't think I'd call it a favorite scene, per se, but it annihilated me when I first saw it at 13 years old. And this movie remains my favorite movie.

My dad took my siblings and I to a drive-in theater to see it (a PERFECT movie for a drive-in!!)
    - - I had never heard my brother swear, but during this scene, he kept repeating 'Shi* . . . Shi* . . . Shi* . . .'

1968 "Night of the Living Dead" 

*** HUGE Plot Spoiler!!!!!! *********

August 31, 2019 7:34 PM MDT

I've seen - - and very well remember -- two of your posts. I don't know the middle scene.
    :)
      August 31, 2019 7:37 PM MDT