Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » What star sign are you? And what is your rising sign?

What star sign are you? And what is your rising sign?

In what ways are you like or unlike what your star chart says about you?

Do you believe in astrology?

If so, why?

If not, why?

Posted - September 5, 2016

Responses

I'm a Scorpio (whatever that means) and my rising sign is a fart and a trip to the bathroom. :-)

September 5, 2016 2:49 PM MDT

September 5, 2016 2:57 PM MDT

• Yep... I had my chart done once out of curiosity. It was 80% inaccurate.

Cancer with Cancer rising. The Cancer part was ok - it was all the rest that was off target.

Given that in statistics 10% is usually considered above the level of random probability, I think 80% qualifies as reliably unreliable.

But the game can still be a lot of fun! ;)

September 5, 2016 3:22 PM MDT

• You know what it means, are you being coy?
    Hmm?

September 5, 2016 4:16 PM MDT

• Gemini,
    Yes I think there's something to it.

September 5, 2016 4:17 PM MDT

• I cancelled my comment just now because your comment made me realise it could have been misconstrued. That's the trouble with metaphor.

Scorpio is traditionally described as a scorpion - one who is deep with a sting in the tail - potentially lethal.

I was referring to many aspects of his comments on this site - edgy.

As well as a conversation behind the scenes which explored the Creation story and what it means in terms of government versus anarchy. It was what started me reading about anarchy - to find out what it is in the classical sense and how it has evolved into many variants.  It was a profound conversation - one that raises many questions - still unfinished.

I can see how you might think it was coy - but that was not my intention. I had not wanted to say too much because it is Nimitz's right to hold his views private. In my view, only he has the privilege of declaring his position publically, if and when and in whatever way he chooses.

September 5, 2016 4:27 PM MDT
  • Bez

I'm a Sun sign Pisces (March 16) with Cancer rising (double Water). I am in all ways what my star chart says about me. I have believed in it for the last 35 years. Why? Because it's so uncannily and unswervingly true, that's why. :)

September 5, 2016 5:06 PM MDT

• Interesting. Thank you.

I have a friend in Byron Bay who has always passionately believed in it - goes very deeply into all the square, trines, etc.

She reckons that keeping people thinking of it as superstition is essential, because if politicians took it seriously it would give them too much power.

She was head matron at St Vincents Hospital for 25 years and married to a professor of sociology. She is no slouch in the brains department - so she tends to turn my poor little atheist brain upside-down in a trice.

September 5, 2016 7:20 PM MDT

Come on, everybody knows that's a bunch of Taurus!

September 5, 2016 8:49 PM MDT

Scorpio x 3

September 5, 2016 9:41 PM MDT

I'm star sign Leo and rising sign Libra.  I don't know enough about it to tell you what it says about me except that I'm a lion!  Rawr!

September 6, 2016 2:01 AM MDT

• I was not talking to you Hart.

September 6, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

• I'm not into astrology at all.  I am a Cancer, and I've heard we're pretty badass. 

September 6, 2016 7:48 AM MDT
  • D&D

My star sign is a V. Hmm, what was my ascendant... I was born in the morning but can't recall the time.

September 6, 2016 11:39 AM MDT

• @ Lucia, :)

I treat it as a party game only. Being an atheist, it's an impossible thing for me to actually believe in.

But having been surrounded by New Age people most of my adult life - and so many of them being into it - i've had to learn in order to understand what they're talking about.

The rising sign is determined  by the exact moment of your birth, when you drew your first breath. You can only find out by getting your chart done - I believe there are fee online programs that can do it for you.

Supposedly your star sign determines the outward personality that you show to the world, and your rising sign is the 80% of the inner you - how you experience yourself. After that it gets incredibly complicated.

Some believers believe that the whole of fate rests in the influence of the stars - others that they can work with their chart and planetary influences in order to grow spiritually.

They argue that just as the gravity and power of the sun and moon influence days, seasons and tides, so also the planets, stars and constellations exert subtle but inevitable influences on us.

Humans are very creative in the beliefs they create. And have an amazing ability to say "yes" to something that appeals to them (for whatever reason that runs in harmony with their psychological orientation and needs) - and once having accepted, to throw themselves into the worldview with passionate conviction.

I believe much of it comes from the power to imagine that which is not. To visualise it so intensely that it becomes perceived as reality -as if there were no difference.

And yet, astrology can still be a great game to play.

September 6, 2016 11:06 PM MDT

• @ Lucia.

your gasps and goshes - me, giggling smiles

September 6, 2016 11:59 PM MDT

• actuallly, the "theory" goes that you're emotional, sensitive and home-loving

(but then again, most people are, even if they don't show it on the outside.)

September 7, 2016 12:01 AM MDT

• I posted this question for some light fun, Jewels.

It's a party-game if people feel like joining in.

And if some people take astrology seriously and find it works well for them, that's ok too.

I asked this question with openness towards all views, including yours.

September 7, 2016 12:13 AM MDT

• Thanks, Saronna.

To what extent do you feel it reflects you accurately?

What do you find are the challenges and advantages?

September 7, 2016 12:15 AM MDT

• First click on google came up with the following:

Gemini traits. Expressive and quick-witted, Gemini represents two different sides of personality and you will never be sure with whom you will face. Gemini can be sociable, communicative and ready for fun, while on the other hand it can be very serious, thoughtful, restless and even indecisive.

How well or poorly do you think this describes you?

September 7, 2016 11:49 AM MDT

• Don't you? Thats pretty good actually.

September 7, 2016 4:12 PM MDT

I don't believe in this ancient practice. the bible disapproves of astrology. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)most don't realize how dangerous a
    practice astrology is. it is a way to communicate with very sinister and powerful spiritual creatures. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at October 27, 2016 11:15 PM MDT
      October 27, 2016 11:13 PM MDT