Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you and your spouse ever pray together before bed at night?

Do you and your spouse ever pray together before bed at night?

Posted - July 16, 2019

Responses

No. 
      July 16, 2019 9:20 AM MDT

When I lived in an apartment, one of the neighbors must have been VERY religious.
    I heard them calling out to god ... very loudly ... nearly every night.

hahahahahahahaha
      July 16, 2019 10:22 AM MDT

• And too, there is that.  LOL!  Glad someone is feeling the rapture, so to speak!
      July 16, 2019 10:46 AM MDT

He was raised liberal Jewish; I was raised godless.

We both practise Vipassana meditation - which is our path to spirituality.

Prayer (of a sort) can be a part of our day.

Before eating we may say
    "May we be grateful for the 72 kinds of labour that have made this food possible and may we put this nutrition to good use."
    or
    "May we live like lotuses, with our feet in the muddy waters of life, growing to bloom in the light."

Before and after meditation we practise a few minutes of metabhavana -
    "May I be happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous"
    Thus is repeated while changing the word I for the names of others: my spiritual teacher (name), a loved parent, a close loving friend (non-romantic/non-sexual), a neutral person, shopkeeper or similar, an enemy (anyone towards whom one bears ill-will or anger), all sentient beings in the world, all sentient beings past, present and future.
    The practice has the tendency to induce bliss. It also tends to create good feelings towards others and helps towards healing discords.

A practise before sleep is to remember and review the day. It helps with memory and learning lessons from mistakes.
    Another can be reading Zen Koans, Tibetan Buddhist folktales, or Buddhist texts.
    I'm a bit slack with these as I'm often reading novels or poetry.

July 16, 2019 1:26 PM MDT