Active Now

Slartibartfast
Spunky
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why is WHITE emblematic of virginity purity innocence? Who sez so? Could it possibly be whites? Anyone know?

Why is WHITE emblematic of virginity purity innocence? Who sez so? Could it possibly be whites? Anyone know?

Posted - July 17, 2019

Responses

In our understanding of the symbolism of colors, "snow-white" is considered the ultimate in white, the whitest of white, as pure and unsullied a white as possible. White is used as a symbol of purity throughout the Bible so it's God that says so not the whites. :)
      July 17, 2019 5:37 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply ru. So it's GOD then? He must prefer whites to people of color then right? SIGH. However what about the years before the Bible was written? Was white pure innocence then too? I'm gonn Google it. This post was edited by RosieG at July 17, 2019 5:45 AM MDT
      July 17, 2019 5:42 AM MDT

The white God is referring too has nothing to do with skin color. As I said, it has to do with purity. Spiritual purity to be more precise, something I should have mentioned when I answered your question. 

"Thou shalt purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow" (Ps. 51:7)

To wash, and to be be made whiter than snow denotes to be purified from sins by the reception and putting on of the Lord's righteousness.
      July 18, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

I always thought it came from Fabric care.....if it is white to keep it white, you must put an effort to kept it clean. A darker fabric stains can be hidden. 

July 17, 2019 11:03 AM MDT

Not dispositive, but it makes sense:

In a wide range of cultures, the color white symbolizes purity and innocence, and white robes and garments are worn to convey spiritual and/or sexual purity. It isn't surprising that white became associated with purity, as even the smallest drop of dye, or a smudge of dirt, destroys the color.

https://www.livescience.com/33523-color-symbolism-meanings.html
      July 17, 2019 11:43 AM MDT