Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » "American as apple pie". Did you know that those Granny Smith apples are actually Australian?

"American as apple pie". Did you know that those Granny Smith apples are actually Australian?

Maria Smith was an Australian orchardist who invented those apples by accident - it is believed that a French crab apple tree of hers may have been pollinated by a different genus of apple tree. "Granny" Smith's cultivar is now the most popular cooking apple worldwide.

Posted - July 17, 2019

Responses

I did not know that. I'll bet you didn't know that you can buy apple tree seedlings that are offspring of actual 'Johnny Appleseed' trees? 
      July 17, 2019 9:17 PM MDT

My mom would never use any apple other than Delicious for her apple pies.  I've never bought apples other than Fuji, Delicious, and my favorite...Honeycrisp. 
      July 17, 2019 9:55 PM MDT

Well I'll be dipped in cinnamon. I didn't know that. I use those for my apple pie.
      July 18, 2019 7:00 AM MDT

• Yeah, and the Australian Shepherd was bred in California.  Oh well.
      July 18, 2019 7:32 AM MDT

It's barely a recognised breed down here. The Australian cattle dog, also known as a blue heeler, is ours, as is the kelpie. Where did the 49ers get off naming their dog the "Aussie"?
      July 18, 2019 7:40 AM MDT

• I LOVE AUATRALIAN CATTLE DOGS.

Anyway, there's a few ideas but nobody knows anymore it could have been from the origin of the breeding stock they developed from,  the origin of the sheep they were originally herding,  or the blue merle coloring being generically being referred to as " Australian".
      July 18, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

Original broodstock from mixed Scottish and Spanish dogs (closely related to the border collie), the sheep they initially herded were unquestionably Spanish (churros). No connection with Australia at all.
    Our "heeler" was bred as a sop to our climate, British collies being unsuited to the dry heat - so they were crossed with the native dingo to produce a working dog that could handle the local conditions. Glorious dog but they need plenty of exercise - and generally aren't a good pet for little kids. They nip at the heels of cattle (hence the name) and have been known to do the same with children.
      July 18, 2019 7:09 PM MDT