Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » That's a mighty big elephant in the room, isn't it?

That's a mighty big elephant in the room, isn't it?

Posted - July 22, 2019

Responses

• I wasn't going to bring it up but.......
      July 22, 2019 9:54 PM MDT

• It's starting to smell like the zoo. 

But maybe that's not the elephant.
      July 22, 2019 9:58 PM MDT

• That's Amber and her cats.
      July 22, 2019 10:33 PM MDT

July 22, 2019 11:05 PM MDT

• Scrufflebutt
      July 22, 2019 11:33 PM MDT

When one has to tip-toe around something, it gives the lie to the denial.
      July 23, 2019 1:07 AM MDT

• Hmm. Most people aren't really interested in the truth. They prefer to believe what's most convenient, beneficial, or amusing to them. And everyone LOVES a villain. 
      July 23, 2019 10:02 AM MDT

I think the degree to which a person is committed to seeing reality as it is 
    is the measure of their sanity.
    By reality, I mean that which we observe via the senses, without interpretation.

For instance, the alcoholism of a family member is the most common elephant in the room. The entire family colludes in the denial of the fact of the addiction. The alcoholic's behaviours are factually unavoidable - slurred words, lack of physical co-ordination, violence or semi-comatose binges, blackouts, vomiting, diarrhea, hang-overs, reduced immunity, health and weight problems, financial problems, frequent accidents, and a long history of problems with all kinds of relationships. In the meantime, the family are busy rescuing, patching up each minor disaster, sweeping away the evidence, making excuses (lies) to others, often in an effort to collude in hiding the fact of the addiction. The alcoholic hides bottles everywhere. The family makes lots of jokes about drinking, especially the drinker, but no one acknowledges the problem... until, if they're lucky, some crisis becomes the last straw and the alcoholic decides to admit the problem, seeks treatment and becomes committed to it. Then each member of the family has to start their journey of recovery from co-dependency. They don't always choose to do so, and when that happens it's only a matter of time before there's a divorce.
    Of course, there're many kinds of elephants in the room - but every one of them is so serious that the shit always hits the fan eventually.

As to "everyone loves a villain", each is entitled to their view, but I disagree.
    I find most people loathe and avoid villains.

Maybe it depends on the definition of a villain. I think of a villain as prone to violence, a con-artist, or a criminal.

But if it means naughty boy - say the young recreational drug-taking musician or artist - well, yes - he'll find his fair share of young women keen to have a romantic affair. He's playful, creative and fun - until the drugs start destroying him, or until the romantic glamour wears off and the dramas start. Then the female flies away. End result, the playful bad-boy abandoned and alone.

This post was edited by inky at July 23, 2019 3:41 PM MDT
      July 23, 2019 1:30 PM MDT

• "I find most people loathe and avoid villains."

Yes. However, the idea of the villain becomes so powerful that the reality of the person and their actions become irrelevant. People connect deeply through their loathing of a common enemy and are driven even deeper into their faith of hatred by an unyielding belief in their sense of righteousness. Often, that is at odds with the truth.

And what a wonderful feeling it is for the villain to be served with justice ... real, or not.

July 23, 2019 6:40 PM MDT

Well, it‘s certainly not going to make itself, Lenina! (Hint, hint.)

~
      July 23, 2019 5:56 AM MDT

• That knife ... just looks very sharp, Randy.
      July 23, 2019 7:01 AM MDT

No mayonnaise, you remembered!  How sweet of you. 

~
      July 23, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

• Oh yeah. Because I would never sneak a glob of mayo into your sandwich, Randy.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 23, 2019 2:46 PM MDT
      July 23, 2019 8:58 AM MDT

Hey, wait . . .

(Oh, my aching gut!  She got me twice, folks. First with that bucketload of mayo, then she pretended she was sorry and offered a remedy for it. Little did I know it was infused With Vegemite. I may need to have my stomach pumped!  Grrr, oooow! It hurts to grimace.)

July 23, 2019 2:45 PM MDT

Elephant Stew

Prep Time: Cook Time: Serves: 3000
    If you're looking to feed a crowd, this Elephant Stew recipe is for you!

Ingredients

1 elephant
    100 gallons water
    Salt and pepper, to taste 2 rabbits

Instructions

1. Cut elephant into bite-sized pieces - this should take about 3 weeks.

2. Place the elephant pieces in a pot and cover with water. Season with salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the elephant meat is cooked through and

tender - this will take about 4 months.

3. This recipe serves around 3,000 people. If you are expecting more, you can add the two

rabbits. However, this should be done with caution - many people do not like to find hare in their stew!

July 23, 2019 1:01 PM MDT

It's just come in to use my Safari Internet connection ,as it wants to make a trunk call to ET who's just Phoned Home as well. :)D
      July 23, 2019 3:02 PM MDT