Active Now

Shuhak
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » In any languages other than English, do variations of the gossip-related expression/concept "he said, she said" exist?

In any languages other than English, do variations of the gossip-related expression/concept "he said, she said" exist?

Please write it out, its English translation, and identify the language(s), please. Thanks.

~

Posted - September 7, 2016

Responses

Not quite the same but very funny ones from German:

• Er sagte... "Ich weiss nicht warum Du einen BH trägst, Du hast doch nichts zum Hineintun." 
      Sie sagte..."Du trägst doch auch Unterhosen, oder?"

• Er sagte..."Warum sagst Du mir nicht wenn Du einen Orgasmus hast?" 
      Sie sagte..."Ich würde gern, aber Du bist ja nie dabei."

September 7, 2016 12:41 AM MDT

Translation, please?

Danke.
    ~
      September 7, 2016 12:45 AM MDT

• He said... "I don't know why you're wearing a bra, you don't have anything to put into them." 
      She said..."You also wear panties, right?"

• He said..."Why don't you tell me when you have an orgasm?" 
      She said..."I would love to, but you're never there."

To all members here, it's only jokes.

September 7, 2016 12:54 AM MDT

•  

In Japanese, the English "says" (present indicative) = iu in plain language, but iimasu in polite/respectful laguage.

The third person is not referred to by a pronoun but by the conjugation of the verb tense. It has two main forms, with variants expressed by suffixes and affixes. The two main forms express either a plain (he-she) "said" or a respectful (he/she) "said." For instance, the male uses the plain form to a female: the female the respectful form to the male.

In general females, or anyone younger in age, less educated or in positions of power have the lesser rank and must use the respectful form towards their superiors. But there are complications. A mother may be referred to with the respectful form by the son, and so on. Foreigners are automatically taught the polite form first.

The third person is named as the topic of conversation at its start, but is not referred to for the rest of the conversation unless necessary for clarification, hence no third person pronoun is used.

If there is doubt about rank, the speaker chooses the humble mode, referring politely to the other.

September 7, 2016 1:53 AM MDT

Wow, thank you! That's a great write-up.

:)
      September 7, 2016 6:34 AM MDT

• Wish I knew what you did out there in the real world. Every once in a while, you ask fabulous questions about language.

September 7, 2016 11:40 AM MDT

I think you underestimate your own knowledge, Hartfire. That said, Randy does ask fabulous questions about language at times. Psst. Don't tell him I said so. ;-)
      September 7, 2016 12:39 PM MDT

Don't tell me you said what?

~
      September 7, 2016 10:38 PM MDT

• k

September 7, 2016 10:51 PM MDT

Oh. Randy, you're here... I didn't see you. Not much dear, I was mostly telling Hartfire not to underestimate her own knowledge. :-)
      September 7, 2016 11:50 PM MDT

Ok, I see. That's a good sentiment to share with her.
    ~
      September 8, 2016 6:30 AM MDT

Isn't it. :-)
      September 8, 2016 6:53 AM MDT

• smiles, awkward feeling, thank you -

at same time - knowledge is bigger than the universe - infinite in potential

my knowledge - like the Uncertainty Principle

September 8, 2016 1:42 PM MDT

Knowledge is huge and infinite in potential. Each of us won't be even close, but that doesn't mean we cannot be perceived having great knowledge. :-)
      September 8, 2016 1:48 PM MDT