Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » ANOTHER mass shooting? Over TWENTY dead? How long do we pretend that everything is fine and dandy?

ANOTHER mass shooting? Over TWENTY dead? How long do we pretend that everything is fine and dandy?

I think this is like the third mass shooting in about ten days in the USA?

I posted this in pure emotional reaction, I admit.

Posted - August 3, 2019

Responses

It is hard for many to get the mental health help they need.  
      August 3, 2019 7:08 PM MDT

True. I don't know obviously but I doubt the shooters involved were looking for mental health help.
      August 5, 2019 7:21 AM MDT

I hope the punishment for the shooter is that the victim's friends and family members will have to line up to slap a shooter in the face.

August 3, 2019 8:38 PM MDT

That would be better than nothing happening.  :) :)
      August 3, 2019 11:51 PM MDT

I can see some people desiring to do that, at the very least, you're right.
    :)
      August 6, 2019 6:02 PM MDT

Who is pretending that?
      August 3, 2019 8:58 PM MDT

I think in some some ways all of us are pretending. Pretending, as in, many of us might think, "What I think about all of this is correct."  And we'll all stick to our guns, so to speak, in whatever we think about such things. And we'll continue pretending and do what amounts to nothing.

August 5, 2019 7:38 AM MDT

Where Have All the Flowers Gone

Where have all the flowers gone,
    Long time passing,
    Long time ago,
    Picked by young girls every one,
    When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone,
    Long time passing,
    Long time ago,
    Gone to young men every one,

Where have all the young men gone,
    Long time passing,
    Long time ago,
    Gone to soldiers every one,

Where have all the soldiers gone,
    Long time passing,
    Long time ago,
    They've gone to graveyards every one,

Where have all the graveyards gone,
    Long time passing,
    Long time ago,
    Gone to flowers every one,
    When will we ever learn?
    When will we ever learn?

Songwriters: Peter Seeger
    © THE BICYCLE MUSIC COMPANY
      August 3, 2019 9:11 PM MDT

This song brings tears to my eyes. Even without the music, it still did. 
      August 3, 2019 11:50 PM MDT

How does a song from 50+ years ago mean that people are pretending anything?
      August 4, 2019 6:52 AM MDT

My brain and heart go to such places at times, too.
      August 5, 2019 7:39 AM MDT

As long as they can gripe and moan without taking action, they will.  They think it is someone else's responsibility to actually, Do Something about it. They will turn the other way and let someone else take care of the problem.

It is very sad and my heart goes out to friends and families.  My anger goes out the person/people responsibly and my thought is let's get together and do something about it. 
      August 3, 2019 11:55 PM MDT

Thanks, Merlin. Yes.
    :)

Yet, if what I seem to see of the past, nothing will change. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 5, 2019 8:01 AM MDT
      August 5, 2019 7:40 AM MDT

Take your thoughts and prayers, write them on the roughest paper you can find, fold them down until they're all corners and shove them firmly up your a$$. Repeal the second, it's an anachronism. Australia has sensible gun laws.
      August 4, 2019 1:55 AM MDT

And only 24 million people.
      August 4, 2019 6:53 AM MDT

More than 25 million and no mass shootings in more than twenty years. Your mob have more than twenty EVERY year. Even given the difference in population, the number of gun-related massacres in the US is completely disproportionate. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 5, 2019 7:44 AM MDT
      August 4, 2019 6:57 AM MDT

So far 21. Dayton, Ohio this morning.
      August 4, 2019 7:16 AM MDT

Yes.
      August 5, 2019 7:44 AM MDT

Australia assaults (40%) are up and sexual assaults (20%) are up as as well. Think that has anything to do with disarming victims?

Homicide has decreased by nine percent since 1990 and armed robbery by one-third since 2001, but recorded assaults and sexual assaults have both increased steadily in the past 10 years by over 40 percent and 20 percent respectively. The rate of aggravated assault appears to have contributed to the marked rise in recorded assault, and for both assault and sexual assault the rate of increase was greater for children aged under 15 years, with increases almost double that of the older age group.

Notice the source in my link is the Australian government.

Also 10%-20% of your homocides are still by firearms every year. 

August 6, 2019 7:23 AM MDT

Nope, the vics were never armed in the first place. Guns are a novelty in most sane societies - the US isn't one. Handguns were never common in Australia and a rifle isn't something you can hide. What tightening guns laws did is stop wack jobs from getting their hands on them.
    Gun homicides in Australia are mostly execution-style hits by criminals on other criminals - so who cares? Suicides are still a problem - life on the land is getting harder.
      August 6, 2019 7:43 AM MDT

There was 40% increase in assaults. Why is that then? 
    Many of our homocides with firearms are also gang drug related. (I would say most but info is hard to track)  We just have more people. 
      August 6, 2019 7:48 AM MDT

13.5 times the population of Australia. We've ad no mass shootings in over 20 years, you have more than 20 EVERY year. It's disproportionate.
    Assaults have been steadily rising since long before 1996. The shape of the curve didn't change. Try again.
      August 6, 2019 7:52 AM MDT

USA crime rates dropped at the same time we increased guns....why did your assault rates not drop at a time when most of the worlds crimes rates were dropping....regardless of gun laws. As I said USA crimes dropped. So why an increase in AU?
      August 6, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

Thank you.
      August 4, 2019 7:15 AM MDT