Active Now

Element 99
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Has anyone actually killed a mocking bird?

Has anyone actually killed a mocking bird?

Posted - August 5, 2019

Responses

One would hope not.
    Perhaps the odd severely abused child in the process of budding into a psychopath.

Harper Lee lets one of her characters explain the significance of the title of her book when Miss Maudie says,
    "Mockingbirds don’t do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corn cribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

Lee's novel works as an impassioned plea for empathy for all people and all life, 
    and never to judge a person without first having lived in their skin.

Good things to consider when mourning the horror of the recent massacres.

If Trump refuses to ignore the NRA 
    and insists that it's people with mental illnesses, not guns, that are to blame,
    isn't that a perfect argument for putting far more resources into mental health initiatives?

August 5, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

It was kind of a silly question I asked out of boredom. Your answer to it, although I'm sure was well meant, is beyond my ken. And then you threw trump into the mix. I am verklempt.
      August 5, 2019 8:00 PM MDT

overcome with emotion? 
    Sorry - I'll keep Trump out of it unless otherwise asked.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a world classic of American literature. I believe it's been on every American highschool kid's compulsory reading list since soon after it was published. Certainly it was in Australia back when I was at school.

It deals with issues of racism, the ways families function, and class prejudice.

So I thought your question was obliquely related to the two massacres last weekend.
    Our news reports say that one of them was related to family violence and race hate.

I felt terribly sad at the deaths and woundings.

I thought maybe you were inviting people to reflect on those issues.

Sorry.

August 6, 2019 1:56 AM MDT

The story of a drunk songbird - tequila mockingbird.
      August 6, 2019 2:07 AM MDT

They are mean drunks.
      August 6, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

A story about 2000 mockingbirds. 2 kilomockingbird.
      August 6, 2019 8:01 AM MDT

I don't want to know about it if they did.  I love those animals.

"To Kill a Mockingbird," from Harper Lee's novel of the same name, is a metaphor that means "to hurt someone who has done no wrong.". It references a comment in the novel by character Atticus Finch to his daughter Scout. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 6, 2019 11:45 AM MDT
      August 6, 2019 11:43 AM MDT

(Hangs head in shame)...  when I was...  was a kid, we went dove hunting.  I...  I... mistook a mocking bird for... well... you get the picture, right?
      August 6, 2019 2:31 PM MDT

Mockingbirds never, do not ask me about Pheasants, Grouse and Ducks however.
      August 11, 2019 1:24 AM MDT