Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Did you know ... military use of tear gas is banned by international convention?

Did you know ... military use of tear gas is banned by international convention?

Doesn't it seem strange that a weapon that is too inhumane to be used in war, is "okay" to be used by domestic police forces?

Posted - August 7, 2019

Responses

Did you know that colluding with Russia also is banned and so is conspiracy to betray America?  

That is also banned.  My point is, Trump does this and worse and Barr lets him so who cares about such silliness as tear gas.  We have assault rifles, baby!
      August 7, 2019 1:21 PM MDT

It's a crying shame they let such things happen.....It's my guess that pointed sticks will be banned in the near future to...:(
      August 7, 2019 1:33 PM MDT

I knew that. It goes back to the horrors of WWI. Poison gas of all types  are banned in war, due to the indiscriminate nature of the death they can cause. 

It is important to note civilian police are governed by different rules and standards than soldiers in combat. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 7, 2019 3:06 PM MDT
      August 7, 2019 2:53 PM MDT

Interestingly, it wasn't until 1993 that tear gas was banned ... though it was first used in 1914.
    And the US Chemical Warfare Service developed tear gas grenades for use in riot control in 1919.
      August 7, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

It is my belief that gases were generally abandoned as weapons in warfare as a whole, driven as much by the Geneva Convention as for their unwanted side effects. 
      August 7, 2019 4:05 PM MDT

Tear gas is used by police forces as a deterrent. A one sided use by a military would be used as a blinding agent to enable them to be shot easier. What about stench agents? Are they banned?
      August 7, 2019 3:09 PM MDT

hahahahahaha

I just pictured it.  Lobbying a "skunk bomb" in a building, to force entrenched enemies into the open.  
      August 8, 2019 7:16 AM MDT

Butanoic acid is better. It's ten times as bad as a skunk. It could gag a maggot.
      August 8, 2019 11:09 AM MDT

Where do I get some?  I'm gong to DC tomorrow if I can get my hands on some.
      August 8, 2019 11:13 AM MDT

Chemical supply companies or the berries of a female Gingko tree. Don't squish them.
      August 8, 2019 11:22 AM MDT

Ginko Biloba berries?  serious?  

women ginko berries.  Hmmmmm…… 
      August 8, 2019 1:37 PM MDT

Seriously. I picked one up once, not knowing the butyric acid was in them. Gag? Some idiot planted it in a park I used to go to. The berries are white, about the size of a small grape.
      August 8, 2019 3:30 PM MDT

August 8, 2019 11:45 AM MDT

thank you.  I was hoping for a gas that I could transport and not get busted.  Maybe I can come as John Q. Public and accidently drop and smash berries as I tour the White House like bread crumbs in Hansel and Gretel.  
      August 8, 2019 1:38 PM MDT

• Same goes for hollow points.   No biggie
      August 8, 2019 7:36 AM MDT

Forget about tear gas.  GREENHOUSE GASSES are stopping the planet.  WE MUST ACT NOW and quit producing meat and eating meat.

There are a billion cattle being tortured and killed for hamburgers.  WE ARE BEING KILLED BY OUR MORON HUMAN BEINGS WHO JUST DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE IT. THEY WANT THEIR BURGERS.

THIS IS NUTS`.   We are in effect eating methane burgers. The statistics of what a cow produces in dangerous gasses is equivalent to 50 cars being driven for a mile.  

That is what we are facing.  One hamburger costs lives and ignoramuses who eat them do not see it so they do not care.  Let other people worry about it, like their KIDS for example.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 8, 2019 3:30 PM MDT
      August 8, 2019 11:48 AM MDT

I heard recently that we should be using insects as a food ... rather than large animals (chickens, goats, pigs, cows).
    Which ... along with Burger King announcing the "Impossible Whopper" ... got me to thinking about the first fast food corporation to announce the "Bug Burger".
      August 8, 2019 1:45 PM MDT