Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » How alike are two people in a flourishing relationship? Are they more likely to stay together if they are more alike?

How alike are two people in a flourishing relationship? Are they more likely to stay together if they are more alike?

Posted - September 7, 2016

Responses

It is best if their values are the same, and their personalities are opposite. Sanguine popular personality(fun loving) and choleric powerful personality (goal oriented and impatient) are good with perfect melancholic personality (detailed and creative) and phlegmatic people (mellow and slow people) The more opposite personalities the stronger the passion is, and the more we grow as human beings being with them. But values have to be similar. Interests can vary.

September 7, 2016 11:41 PM MDT

In my experience there has to be a blend of homogeneity and heterogeneity.  Too much alike and you'll have nothing to talk about in six months.  Too little and you'll be at each other's throats. :-)

September 8, 2016 12:41 AM MDT

September 8, 2016 12:42 AM MDT
  • D&D

Where did the personality terms come about?

September 8, 2016 2:20 AM MDT

According to what I have read, at an early stage of a relationship you are high due to all the hormones that are being released into your body, especially if you had sex.

In other words you are temporarily dumb due to all the chemicals in your head. Those hormones are there to increase the chances of bonding between the two. And they will remain there for a year and a half minimum, three years maximum.

In these period of time you will find it difficult to find flaws in your partner.

After the brain becomes adapted to all the chemicals their effect will decrease until you don't feel that way at all. You will start watching your partner the way he truly is, with all his virtues and flaws. After that is up to you to remain in the relationship or leave. Nature designed things this way because without any method of contraception three years of wild sex are enough time to make you pregnant with a child.

So, you will find in your early stage that you seem to have a lot in common with the guy, until the hormones are worn out in the way I described before.

However, it all depends of your personality. If you like people that has a lot in common with you you will be happy with someone with similar thoughts than yours. But some other people prefer to love very different people than what they are. Whichever is your preference will become evident with time.

So... Take it easy. Don't force things. If you are compatible enough to be together, you will remain that way, otherwise you two will eventually split apart. Time will give you the answer.

Why did I wrote all this bunch of crap? Because there's nothing better to do at the moment. Also because I fucking love science. Don't thank me, thank science.

September 8, 2016 2:38 AM MDT

For me personally, more alike is what has worked.

September 8, 2016 3:15 AM MDT

There are many different personality tests in the world. But they all say the same. We are born with a particular personality temperaments that can be divided  one of  4  to 16 kinds. You can probably find tests online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_temperaments

September 8, 2016 7:56 AM MDT

I think it all comes down to what someone wants in the other person. My girlfriend likes Twilight and thinks South Park is stupid. It's tragic but we make it work.
      September 8, 2016 8:02 AM MDT

September 9, 2016 7:39 PM MDT

September 9, 2016 7:40 PM MDT

September 9, 2016 7:40 PM MDT

i think it depends on the people involved, everyone is different

September 10, 2016 8:31 PM MDT

• My bf and I were talking about this last night!  We have some similar features and the longer we're together we will start to mimic each others mannerisms which will in turn make us appear that we look alike.  :-)

September 14, 2016 7:54 PM MDT

• LOL what you shared is true.  So if your partner can't get pregnant where does that stand on the chemical time line??  Next you're bored, I'd actually like to know.  :-)

September 14, 2016 7:57 PM MDT