Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Would you be upset if an American grocery chain store closed in your neighborhood and an Asian "international" market opened up in its place?

Would you be upset if an American grocery chain store closed in your neighborhood and an Asian "international" market opened up in its place?

#GroceryStores

Posted - September 8, 2016

Responses

As long as they have a liquor store I wouldn't care.

September 8, 2016 3:56 PM MDT

I would be elated! Then I wouldn't have to drive downtown to the Asian Market!
      September 8, 2016 4:03 PM MDT

Actually I want one of those Asian market, so I can get those chili flakes to make chili oil. Apparently the usual ones you get at the supermarket are inferior.

September 8, 2016 4:24 PM MDT

nope

would welcome it

September 8, 2016 4:36 PM MDT

No. I would feel badly for the business that had to close, but be glad that some enterprise with a different atmosphere filled its place.

September 8, 2016 4:46 PM MDT

• Yes. It is better than having an abandoned building.

September 8, 2016 4:48 PM MDT

• They won't. Not in this county.

September 8, 2016 4:52 PM MDT

I don't really want any of the "American" chain stores to close, but I would be ecstatic if an Asian supermarket were to open. (I have memories of Acme and A&P closing in my home town, especially after working for the IGA store there.)

Bring on a Trader Joe's and an Aldi while you're at it too! I have to drive about 20-miles to any of those three. We do have a Wegmans but they can be pricey sometimes.

My experience is that the Asian supermarkets have a much wider variety of much better produce at a much better price than do the Belgian/Dutch, I mean American big chains (The damn Belgian/Dutch own Giant Food, Stop and Shop, Hannaford and Food Lion, among others.). They also have a more diverse selection of other items on the shelves and in the refrigerated cases like fresh seafood, meats and dairy products (I really like middle eastern style yogurt made from whole milk). 

September 8, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

There is a T&T market near where I live, caters largely to the Asian community. I can get most stuff there except they don't have a great variety of canned goods.
    What I like most is their prices are 15 - 20% lower than the regular chains.
      September 8, 2016 5:54 PM MDT

Not really. I love Chinese food!
      September 8, 2016 5:59 PM MDT

Not to be deliberately contrary but, would it really make a difference? Think about it...

September 8, 2016 6:17 PM MDT

• Yes it makes a difference. I don't want international brands. They will not carry the items or types of food I want. So now instead of walking to a store where I could buy items that I want I will have to find another store and another way to get to the store. Basically it increases my food bill because now I have to pay for transportation to a store. I also would like to be able to read the labels of the food I'm buying. I realize that I'm a stupid American and only know English, but it's a little late for me to learn Korean.

September 8, 2016 6:27 PM MDT

Given your specific situation, I think it's understandable that you're not pleased. As a species, we're intrinsically selfish like that. 

Luckily, you get to chose how much internal upset this causes you. For your own sake, I hope it's not too much. Maybe you'll even find out you have mad love for bamboo shoots or something! : )

September 8, 2016 8:46 PM MDT

• I'm not opposed to buying a meal or two there. Supposedly they will have a lot of hot prepared food. However, for basic needs (milk, bread, toilet paper, toothpaste etc.), I doubt they will have what I need.

Sure this is a "first world problem", but I do pay taxes here.

September 8, 2016 9:13 PM MDT

What I look for are business owners that live in my community.  

September 8, 2016 9:47 PM MDT

Aren't many 'Americnan brands' made and packaged outside the country anyway? Isn't that why they're cheaper, not more expensive... Well, not in the immediate sense.

Like I said, think about it...

September 9, 2016 8:25 AM MDT

• I thought about it. I really really really did. So tell me now how you want me to think about it. Please teacher. Lil' student too dumb to think right.

September 9, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

• I'm not much interested in prepackaged sauces and stews full of sugars, fats, and artificial flavours, so if an American style grocery store disappears it never bothers me.

If an Asian grocery store appears, I straight away become a regular customer of the exotic fresh ingredients, especially the vegetables, mushrooms, tofu, tempeh, seaweed and spices --- YUM ! :D

September 9, 2016 11:14 AM MDT

• I agree with reducing carbon-footprint and food-miles - as well as supporting locals.

September 9, 2016 11:16 AM MDT

I did post a question up there...

September 9, 2016 11:40 AM MDT

• Aren't many 'Americnan brands' made and packaged outside the country anyway?

That question? You want me to answer that? Seems like you already know the answer.

September 9, 2016 12:55 PM MDT

• That's fine. You're obviously superior to me. Where do you buy your toothpaste and toilet paper?

September 9, 2016 12:57 PM MDT

You bet I'd be upset !!

September 9, 2016 1:35 PM MDT

By supporting businesses whose owners live and operate in my community, more of that money will stay in my community.  I also find I get better service.  It's a win all the way around for me.  

September 9, 2016 2:35 PM MDT