Discussion » Questions » Shopping » If the U.S.A. buys Greenland will we build a Walmart Supercenter there? Personally, I'd rather buy Australia. Maybe a two for one special?

If the U.S.A. buys Greenland will we build a Walmart Supercenter there? Personally, I'd rather buy Australia. Maybe a two for one special?

Posted - August 19, 2019

Responses

Starbucks FAILED here. And guns aren't legal.
      August 19, 2019 9:21 PM MDT

i think we should turn it in to a big amusement park. i went to Canadas wonderland last week and now rollercoasters are my thing. my husband and i are planning a trip to NJ next summer to ride the tallest coaster in the world. 
      August 19, 2019 9:30 PM MDT

Australia is already under the economic, cultural, diplomatic and political hegemony of the USA - has been since the signing of the ANZUZ treaty.

But the land is not for sale.
    We've made a few mistakes selling some large tracts of farming land - and learned our lessons about why it's not a good idea.
    We've been buying it back.
    We Aussies won't want to sell off to any overseas entity.
    The groundswell of protest from voters is very large and the politicians know it.

At most, we give back sovereignty (of some areas - Arnhemland, Kakadu and others) to the traditional custodians -
    and that we do far less often than we should.

To be more correct, no Aboriginal nation ever ceded sovereignty or rights to Europeans or any other group,
    so in international law, Aboriginals still own this land.
    However, white laws under the Westminster system, in practice, dominate across most of the continent -
    and that creates huge problems for most of the Aboriginal nations who do not have real control over their own lands and resources.
    The injustices here are internationally scandalous,
    and the embedded racism (an unduly influential 15% of the population) is so difficult
    that progress towards positive change is painfully slow.

This post was edited by inky at August 20, 2019 4:40 PM MDT
      August 20, 2019 12:14 AM MDT

The biggest difference between Australia and South Africa is thst RSA was honest about how the native population was treated.
      August 20, 2019 1:11 AM MDT

A Walmart in Greenland, do not make me laugh.  A Walmart is bigger than most villages.  Just saying.  Besides Trump would not like the Native population......
      August 20, 2019 9:50 AM MDT