Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Tonight's Movie: "The Toxic Retards" Do you have a favorite cult film that everyone around you seems to hate and only you enjoy?

Tonight's Movie: "The Toxic Retards" Do you have a favorite cult film that everyone around you seems to hate and only you enjoy?

Aliens battle terrorist in a sorority house filled with mutants, monsters and secret agents. Who will survive this action-packed inter-dimensional adventure?

Director:

Carl J. Sukenick

Writer:

Carl J. Sukenick

Posted - August 24, 2019

Responses

I'm sorry to say that I don't think I have a movie that fits your question.
    :)
      August 24, 2019 9:47 PM MDT

Welby, I hope you're messing me. LOL

I think you do. It's as plain as the nose on your face. LITERALLY! 
    Your avatar represents a great example. (BTW...NOTLD is one of my all-time favorite films) 

This post was edited by Jon at August 25, 2019 2:42 PM MDT
      August 25, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

Wow - - I've never been so wanting to sneeze watching this movie before. Until this gif here. 

;)
    ;)
     but I've always found actor Keith Wayne very attractive in this movie.

Ha! I never thought of "Night of the Living Dead" in the category of your question. On the other hand, though it's very well respected by many, I do know a lot of people make fun of it. (Interestingly, so far, anytime I've read and/or someone  has told me why they make fun of it, I can take their points and turn them around and defend that their reasons are in some ways what make the movie so successful to me - - i.e., "it's so low budget" (adds realism to me), "amateurish/wooden acting" (no, because of the understated and at-times-possibly-strange acting, these characters come across as real people to me; there's no "Look-at-me-I'm-acting" performances, like Tom Hanks in "Forrest Gump" -- possibly, to me, the most overrated. 'affected' performance I've ever seen in a movie, ha!)- - - whoa, I'm overreacting again, ha!

And I can undoubtedly and confidently say that at this point in my life, Romero's original 1968 "Night of the Living Dead" is my favorite movie.
    Yes, we both have good taste.

I've traveled about three times to where it was filmed.  Well, most of it anyway -- Evans City Pennsylvania, USA. The cemetery there and where the house stood. (From what I've read, the farm house was demolished soon after filming. Romero filmed there cheaply because the house was slated to be demolished before any thoughts of filming a movie there were considered.)

Oh, and he and his fellow artists originally wanted to make a monster movie - - but they eventually realized they did not have a budget to make a believable-looking monster - - so they went with making people the monsters.

Wow -- all this useless stuff I'm spouting.

Now, I'll go post another answer.
      August 25, 2019 3:02 PM MDT

I just knew you would find that GIF amusing, Welby. I laughed pretty damn hard when I saw it.

My heart belongs to this movie. This one and my other all-time fave, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Each of these movies were highly creative and incredibly influential. 

George Romero and Tobe Hooper, both are loved by me.  
    When George died, It upset me greatly. I have always wanted to see the location where the original NOTLD was filmed.  The gorgeously grainy B&W, low-budget, and yes, slightly amateurish acting all add to the atmosphere and creepiness. 

I have the great pleasure of experiencing this film for the first time at the Orson Welles Cinema in Boston at a Midnight showing. That theatre was my old stomping ground as a young lad. I also had the honor of seeing Pink Flamingos and many other lovely films of dubious distinction. lol 

Somewhere in the wreck of a home, I have a book about George Romero.  I believe you know that another of my faves by Romero was "Martin". Boy, I can't tell you how much I love that film.

You found Keith Wayne attractive, my Romero crush was John Amplas from Martin...OMG! I love(d) him!!!

He was so damn cute and innocent! Romero's take on vampirism was brilliant This post was edited by Jon at August 25, 2019 7:37 PM MDT
      August 25, 2019 6:02 PM MDT

I only saw "Martin" once but I remember its honest take on vampirism. "Honest" is the only word I could think of at the moment. Literal. Authentic. Realistic. Straightforward. I don't know. Yeah, I remember your mentioning your love of "Martin."
    I forgot how attractive Amplas is.

I liked "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," too!

August 25, 2019 7:43 PM MDT

Wasn't he though?  Woof!

Thank you! That is a great way to describe Martin ... "Honest"
      August 25, 2019 7:46 PM MDT

Oh, cool. For how much you like the movie, I'm glad to hear you find 'honest' a great description.
      August 25, 2019 7:49 PM MDT

I do! I was telling the Dink that is one of the reasons I really like this film. It treats vampirism as more of a physiological/biological malady or condition than one based on supernatural. No fangs, no sleeping in coffins, none of that Hollywood mumbo-jumbo
      August 25, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

Exactly. Yeah, that's what I remember most about the movie.
      August 25, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

Why would I turn on FOX NEWS?

I am horrified enough.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 25, 2019 6:07 PM MDT
      August 24, 2019 10:13 PM MDT

I'll give you a "Like" just for that damn meme alone. Hah!
      August 25, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

• Bad Taste
      August 25, 2019 7:10 AM MDT

Peter Jackson's flick! I'm a fan of his for sure.

This is a good choice for many reasons but most importantly is because it highlights my point. I did do not feel the love for that film, but lots of people did. LOL. I much prefer another of his films which was a great cult fave, "Dead Alive" because it's all about the Sumatra Rat Monkey. lol

I MUST get Twinkle Dink to watch...

August 25, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

and Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures" - - superb! Melanie Lynskey and Kate Winslet are incredible. As is the rest of the cast and all aspects of the entire movie.

Image result for heavenly creatures movie gif

August 25, 2019 2:46 PM MDT

My favorite movie, actually. (Thanks for reminding me, ha!)

George Romero's 1968 "Night of the Living Dead" - - and my avatar

;)

Image result for night of the living dead 1968 This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 25, 2019 6:08 PM MDT
      August 25, 2019 3:05 PM MDT