Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I wonder about everything all the time. Want an example?

I wonder about everything all the time. Want an example?

What would the United States of America be like if the Founding Fathers did not include "the right to arm bears" as part of the second amendment? We would have freedom of speech, freedom of the press and the freedom to peacefully peaceably assemble and to address our grievances. But nothing about bearing arms or arming bears anywhere in there.

Would there be an NRA? Would homo saps hunt for food with knives and bows and arrows? There'd be the need for weapons for the military and certain professions like policing but for the ordinary everyday typical average citizen?

I know some of you cannot imagine such a world. For those who can how do you think it would have been and would be? Why?

Posted - September 8, 2019

Responses

We would likely not have the 1st amendment anymore. 
      September 8, 2019 2:58 PM MDT

Why do you think so m2c? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      September 9, 2019 2:27 AM MDT

I believe the 2nd defends all of the others. Look at other countries who have disarmed their citizens. Free speech is attacked. Most dictators disarm their people. 
    I agree with those who wrote and passed the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
    – Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops.”
    – Noah Webster
      September 9, 2019 4:40 AM MDT

I sent my kids, and my kids will send theirs, to school safe in the knowledge that they won't be gunned down while there. That can't be said in the US. The second is an anachronism and should have been repealed over a century ago.
    Thomas Jefferson was a slaveowner, and impregnated one of them on more than one occasion which technically made her his sex slave. I'm not seeing someone who should be listened to.
    As for "a force superior to any band of regular troops", that's a belly laugh - you do know the Army has drones, and tanks, and bazookas, and machine guns, and JSF-35s, right? You're bringing guns to a drone fight.
      September 9, 2019 5:26 AM MDT

Civilians have tanks. I personally know people who own them. And if we are so outgunned the gov should not worry about our puny guns. 

Yes we have had shootings. Yall have gotten rid of most of your mass shootings. But your assaults and sexual assaults increased. So do you worry for their safety against a rapist? Your assaults increased and continue to increase.

This post was edited by my2cents at September 9, 2019 9:53 AM MDT
      September 9, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

The vics weren't carrying semiautomatic assault rifles (or guns of any sort) before the ban, either - Australia has NEVER had open carry. Robberies (which frequently involved firearms) decreased, homicides decreased sharply. So you can stop quoting figures which are totally irrelevant to the argument.
    The gov aren't worried about your puny guns if it comes to a showdown. What they SHOULD be worried about is the school kids who are outgunned by maniacs. I notice that the San Francisco legislature has just declared the NRA to be a domestic terrorist organization. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 10, 2019 2:35 AM MDT
      September 10, 2019 2:30 AM MDT

Homicides were already decreasing. This trend continued regardless of the weapon used. Homicides throughout the world have decreased other the time period. Including the USA. Much more school shootings in the 1990s than now. 

The point of noting that your assaults have increased is one of the reasons why we have the 2nd amendment. The firearm gives the weak an equalizer. And while not every woman carries...some do. And the perps do not know which victim is armed. But when you disarm everyone....the perp knows the victim is not armed. It makes women and physically smaller people sitting ducks. As your stats show. USA assaults and violent crime have also decreased as we increased the number of firearms in our possession.

There was a lady just last week in Houston who used her semiautomatic handgun to defend herself from several would be attackers. This post was edited by my2cents at September 10, 2019 11:22 AM MDT
      September 10, 2019 4:59 AM MDT

At the risk of repeating myself, IRRELEVANT. The vics weren't packing heat beforehand.
      September 10, 2019 7:38 PM MDT

But the perps did not know that for certain. Now they do. And you sexual assault rate shows it.
      September 11, 2019 4:58 AM MDT