Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Aside from trauma and doing without, how do people learn to be grateful for what they have?

Aside from trauma and doing without, how do people learn to be grateful for what they have?

Posted - October 7, 2019

Responses

Having to work hard for it. 
      October 7, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

Loss.
    Hard times.
    Hard work.
    Understanding how little some have (whether or not you blame them for their situation).
    See hard-working people continue to suffer due to circumstances beyond their own control.

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 11, 2019 11:18 AM MDT
      October 7, 2019 2:33 PM MDT

The key to being content is to give from what we do have.

We tend to think having more will make us happier (more money, more possessions, more friends, etc.).   So we spend our lives either trying to get more and more, or being bitter that we don't have enough..  We're never satisfied.  Yet in reality, we have more than we think we do.  "I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet".  
    Giving to others takes our minds off ourselves.  What we don't have.  We don't have to give money or even things.  Even the poorest person can give.  Everyone has time (it's our choice as to how we spend it).  Anyone can give their attention (a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen).  We can give our knowledge (teach).  When we give to others, we begin to feel better about ourselves.  We begin to see that having things isn't as important as we once thought.  After a while we learn that no matter how much or how little we have, it's really all that we need.  Contentment.  
      October 7, 2019 3:44 PM MDT

Travel. When you see how some people live (and thrive), it will boggle your mind at how rich you are in comparison.
      October 7, 2019 6:07 PM MDT

That first trip outside of the United States can be a shocker.  
      October 11, 2019 5:59 AM MDT

This is about the sandwiches, isn’t it?  Listen, I do NOT have a problem, and I do NOT need professional help, ok?  Grrrrrrr. 

~
      October 11, 2019 6:38 AM MDT

By praising God. And by working to use what you have and are to get what you want and where you want to go.  We all have talents but unfortunately do not recognize them as we have not utilized them or because we are too critical of ourselves. 
      October 11, 2019 8:42 PM MDT

we can be grateful for all we have. the goods. even tho we can live with really bad 'stuff(s)'. But there's always possibility to change things up. You just have to be patient and hope God will help you.
      October 11, 2019 9:34 PM MDT