Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » So you are a member of the LGBTQ community and are exceedingly talented at what you do. You marry someone you love and you get fired. WHAT?

So you are a member of the LGBTQ community and are exceedingly talented at what you do. You marry someone you love and you get fired. WHAT?

The boss doesn't approve of the person you love and wants you gone because you are an abomination to him/her/them.

So what is really going on here? You don't become less valuable or less talented because you got married. Why does your boss have to approve of or even like your spouse? Heck there are some couples that one of is my cuppa tea and the other of isn't. But I wouldn't fire him/her because of that as long as the job I need done is being done well what the he** business is it of mine? How does that affect my life? I don't get it.

Posted - October 9, 2019

Responses

Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 -- the federal law which prohibits discrimination by private businesses which are places of public accommodation -- only prevents businesses from refusing service based on race, color, religion, or national origin. Federal law does not prevent businesses from refusing service to customers based on "sexual orientation". This is true both for customers and employees of private businesses, although forces in Congress have been attempting to pass laws that protect gay and lesbian employees for decades. So if there are no state or local laws to the contrary, private business owners may legally choose to refuse service to customers based on their sexual orientation -- and some have publicly done so. 
      October 9, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

• *sighs*

That is true,
    but I would like to add
    that just because something is legal does not necessarily make it right.
      October 9, 2019 7:52 AM MDT

It doesn't necessarily make it wrong either. Our personal feelings will always have a lot to do with how we view the law. However, the law is still the law whether we agree with it or not. 
      October 9, 2019 8:11 AM MDT

• I disagree.
    It should always be considered wrong
    to discriminate against or disenfranchise people who's actions are harming no one.
      October 9, 2019 9:15 AM MDT

OOYAH!
      October 9, 2019 11:08 AM MDT

Amen, Halloweenie.
      October 9, 2019 7:41 PM MDT

:):):)
      October 10, 2019 4:08 AM MDT

:):):)
      October 9, 2019 11:08 AM MDT